Author Topic: Please help price this oil lamp holder  (Read 2205 times)

BrokeBrooks

• View Profile
Please help price this oil lamp holder
« on: April 10, 2010, 03:47:41 pm »
When my grandfather died, he left a ton of old stuff in his basement.  I took special interest in this oil lamp holder.  I really want to find out how much it is worth if anything. thank you in advance. It has PAT'D JUNE 7, 1881 engraved in it

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Please help price this oil lamp holder
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 04:42:29 pm »
Here is a nearly identical one selling on Ruby Lane for $100:

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/treasuresfromthepast/item/000507
Antiqueaholic in recovery

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 04:49:37 pm »
Hi Broke this is what is called a bracket lamp really pretty piece you have!! yours came from a company call Bradley & Hubbard with roots beginning in 1852 in Connecticut, they began producing lighting in 1859

This one is yours 4th one down on this site
http://www.si.edu/oahp/bradley_hubbard/lampsandchandeliers.htm

value  $75.00

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 07:14:43 pm »
Here's the patent #D12301 by Bradley & Hubbard - The actual swing arm is exactly the same and the date of patent is April 30, 1881.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=ufIWAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&dq=bradley+hubbard&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=1#v=onepage&q=bradley%20hubbard&f=false

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 07:22:37 pm »
I saw 2 very similar ones today at an estate sale.  One had an oil lamp in it and both were mounted to walls.  A lady 2 people in front of me bought both and were marked sold.  I did not positively see what prices were marked on either one as I was 5' away when she pulled the prices but the tag on the one without the lamp looked like it was marked $35 or $45.  No idea if there was a patent date on them.

BrokeBrooks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 09:48:38 am »
Thank you very much to everyone who replied.

BrokeBrooks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 11:36:03 am »
I went to two antique stores, the most they would pay for it was five dollars....   Kinda lame.   Oh well

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 12:39:23 pm »
At antique shops you are dealing with the low wholesale market.  You need to elevate to a higher secondary market or to retail.  List your brackets on craigslist under antiques and set your own price or put them at auction on eBay and let them ride. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 03:22:24 pm »
Totally agree with Wayward.

You have to understand that the local shops are going to pay you low so they can in turn sell for higher!!!  Craigs List or Ebay is your best bet! 

I have a good friend that ran a very successful antique shop for years.  He used to price items low and people would pass them over.  He would then raise the prices up more than he would pay and they would sell.  I also had a friend who had a store and she would price things really high that she really didn't want to sell (her hubby said she couldn't keep them).  Every time she did it - they sold instantly!  HA!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!