Author Topic: Porcelain Sign Question  (Read 20509 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Porcelain Sign Question
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 04:25:29 pm »
Oops, good thing I rinsed it off within a couple seconds! I'll just stick with the previous advice. :P

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 06:04:09 pm »
Here's some for Arden exclusively and their prices:
[url]http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5246476/url]

Completed listing Ebay 170468673174

And I totally agree that someone cut it down and painted it black to reuse as a store sign!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 07:03:30 pm »
Hosman  agree with wayward on the nail polish remover I would never under any circumstance use it on any antique of any kind!! I have worked in a salon for many years and that stuff is deadly to most surfaces. I am restoring an antique trunk with embossed steel that is loaded with rust it would be way easier to use a chemical to remove it but to do no damage & advice from professionals it would be a big NO NO. slow & steady  by hand (more work) but worth it in the end.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 07:08:26 pm by wendy177 »

Chinese Antique Furniture

• View Profile
    • Chinese Antique Furniture Shop
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 07:18:15 pm »
I know it's a ton of work, but you've been getting good advice on the paint removal.  If you can bear with it, and finally get the job done, I think you will be very proud of the result.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 11:22:25 pm »
Well, it looks like this is as good as she's gonna get. I used Motsenbocker's Latex Based Paint Remover. Worked great. Bio-degradeable, no harsh solvents, and is water based.

This is the side that was mostly covered in paint. I'm just going to leave the other side as-is for now. It hardly has any paint on it. It'll face the wall anyways. It may be beat up and cut up, but it'll look cool on the kitchen wall anyways. Thanks for all the advice everybody!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 11:31:00 pm by hosman321 »

waywardangler

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 11:51:40 pm »
Well, hosman, that looks pretty good!  You should be proud of yourself!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 04:43:39 am »
hosman looks awesome!!! good choice with the Biodegradable, no harsh solvents, and  water based remover better safe than sorry. Love all the chipped & rusted parts gives it great character!!!!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 05:21:57 am »
Thanks guys. :)
You know, I kinda like the banged up porcelain signs better than the perfect ones that sell for big bucks. Not only are they a fraction of the price, but they do show their age and have great character. Plus, I kinda feel like I have to save them. Other people may see these damaged ones and want to melt them down or destroy them. So, I may as well take them in and give them a home. :P
I also got my old Texaco one for a great price because of it's big gash. But I love it just the same.

Now that I look at the pics, these two would look great with each other. Guess I have to make space now. :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 05:25:05 am by hosman321 »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 06:47:48 am »
Hosman, if you are going to hang that in your kitchen you might think about treating those "rusty edges" on your sign with something.

Like putting your sign out in the hot Sun to heat up real good to rid it of any moisture and then putting a polycrylic or something on the rusted areas.

The constantly changing heat and humidity in your kitchen will cause the rust to ever so slowly eat its way back under that porcelin coating.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 06:51:11 am »
That's a great idea cogar. Sunshine is definitely rare on the Washington menu. :)
But I believe it's supposed to be sunny tomorrow. I'll lay it out for the day. And then maybe spray a Rust-oleum clear coat on the rusty edges?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 06:56:45 am by hosman321 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 09:16:40 am »
Great advice Cogar!!!!  Enjoy hosman!!!  You are hooked on 'tiques and vintage items!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2011, 01:44:12 am »
Well, I'm considering listing one of these on ebay tomorrow. I spent a small fortune on a 1770's textile and I need the money to put towards it. My whole goal is to go older and more primitive and sell a few things that aren't very old. But I am so attached to them both and can't pick which one. What would you do? The Sunfreze one is very damaged, but much rarer than the more common Texaco one. I think the Sunfreze one would bring around $100, the Texaco around $65 because it is also damaged. Should I keep the less common one?  ::)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2011, 05:29:15 am »
If it is a water based paint, try putting it in the bathtub and soaking it with hot water and a bit of dish soap for a couple of hours.  Usually it comes off pretty easily. Dried oil based paint, I just use paint thinner. Lighter fluid or charcoal starter even works on some.  Needs to be outside though and washed well afterward !! I would test on a small place before trying on the entire thing.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2011, 07:40:25 am »
Personally...  I like the Fire Chief one best but this is probably a matter of taste.  Hard to believe it would bring less $$ since it appeals to sign & fire collectors.  Just shows how bad I am at "picking" stuff - lol
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2011, 08:34:24 pm »
Well, I listed the Sunfreze sign. Within a couple hours it had a bid. I'm hoping it brings around $100.00. I'll be sad for it to go, I never sell my antiques!