Author Topic: Porcelain Sign Question  (Read 20514 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Porcelain Sign Question
« on: April 12, 2010, 11:15:26 pm »
Does anybody know a paint removing chemical that is safe to use on porcelain signs? I believe these signs are pretty much glass, so can I use any paint remover on them? I'm no good about chemicals.

I bought this sign today for $15. For some reason, it was painted black at some point. When I scrub long enough with water, the paint does start to wash off. But my arms are killing me now. It's pretty rusty and in fair/poor shape. I just love it anyways. I can't find one online exactly like mine but there are similar Arden Ice Cream ones that have sold for $600-$800 in good/perfect condition. So, I think I did darn good if I can get all this black paint off. Thanks for any advice!
Pics are of the front side and back side. It also appears that it has been cut off on the top, sides, and bottom. But the brackets for attaching it to the sidewalk sign are still on the bottom so I have no idea.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:27:38 pm by hosman321 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Porcelain Sign Question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 12:02:17 am »
I would say to keep doing what you are doing.  Working with vintage and antique items can be time consuming and tiring at times - but well worth it in the long run it done right!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 12:08:31 am »
Well, I've removed about an inch or two worth of paint in an hour of scrubbing. All of the bare parts in those pics were already bare before I started. So, in a few weeks it may be clear but my arms will be long gone. But, if that's the safer way then I'll just have to do it. :P

The shop owner used a razor blade and it scraped off pretty well. But there are lots of chips in the enamel and I don't want to scrape more away.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 12:10:35 am by hosman321 »

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 01:07:01 am »
Use rubber gloves...
I have some tips.  First try SUDSY Ammonia.  That is SUDSY Ammonia not just plain Ammonia.  You may have this already if not it is pretty cheap at the store.  When using this, always have clean water available to wash the surface to stop the action of the ammonia.  Use in a well ventilated area like outside in the garage or just plain outside.  Use a cloth and try it on a small part of the black first to see how it does with the black paint.
OK, if this does nothing the next to try is any brand of liquid sandpaper that you may have on hand.  Liquid sandpaper is what you wipe on painted surfaces to 'cut' the surface to prepare it for painting.  It goes by different names such as , Surface Conditioner, Preparite, Liquid Sandpaper, and others.  Different brand names have different chemical compositions and work faster or slower.  Use this liquid on a cloth and rub on the black paint.  Black showing on the cloth shows the paint is being removed.  Always have clean water available to flood the surface to stop the action of this chemical also.  You only want the black overpaint to be removed and nothing else so if something else is coming off, quickly flush water on the surface to stop any chemical action.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 01:19:02 am »
Thanks for the advice wayward! I'll be headin' to the store tomorrow.

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 01:29:59 am »
I have done this many times on fishing lures with old overpaint so I do have some experience with it.  I learned it from duck decoy collectors that used these methods to remove old overpaints from wood duck decoys.  Some paints such as the old aluminum paints come off fast, almost like washing it off with water.  Some paints come off real slow.  I have had white enamel and yellow enamel come off excruciatingly slow but they came off.
Good luck. I will check back on this thread to see how you are doing.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 05:30:50 am »
Dang, this sign is a bit more rare than I thought. I can only find 1 exact one online. And one or two Arden Ice Cream ones. I'd say it was worth the $15, even though it's kinda "roached", as Mike always says on "Pickers." ;)
I'll post "after" pics soon.

I still don't understand why the top, bottom and sides were cut. But the brackets are still attached. Hmm...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1933-Arden-Ice-Cream-Double-Sided-Porcelin-Sign_W0QQitemZ170468673174QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27b0b98696

http://www.icollector.com/Sunfreze-Ice-Cream-by-Arden-porcelain-Advertising-sign_i8638437

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 05:56:28 am »
Hosman I believe someone cut it down & repainted it to advertise a new business that is why the brackets are still attached. great find to bad it was cut down. Advertising signs seem to be sought after even in this market and prices seem good, I think in the future they will be even more sought after & prices will skyrocket. keep an eye out for more signs   ;D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 06:42:39 am »
If it is a porcelain sign then I would not be afraid to use paint remover. Just dip a cotton cloth in the paint remover and then rub it across the surface of the sign. 

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 09:40:25 am »
Agree with Cogar. Don't use razor blades or any type of scraper. You could ruin it.

Linny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 03:39:16 pm »
I've had some luck with fingernail polish and cotton. Try a very small spot forst. It's not as harsh as paint remover and sometimes works. Don't use scraper though. You could really ruin it.
Linny

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 03:52:44 pm »
Hey, I think I have nail polish remover layin around. I'll try a tiny spot and rinse it fast. Maybe it'll work. Nail polish remover can be kinda harsh too so I'll let ya know what happens. Thanks for the input guys.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 03:56:22 pm »
Another ( cringe ) method is a pressurewasher ( on signs made for exterior use ) - much less surface abrasion/chemistry goin' on ...
can blow off flakes or huge chunks , though (ablation) .....

.... other times (with latex-based paints) plain old boiling water & a synthetic bristle brush (no wire brushes , please) helps ;
'heat guns' can also be useful , when trying to avoid abrasion .

Any way you cut it , it's work !

Hats off to you for workin' away @ this one , hosman321 .

:)

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 03:59:55 pm »
Well, the nail polish remover was a bust. Got a tiny bit off, but I think that was mostly my elbow grease doin' the work. Thanks for the idea though!

I'll be headin' to Walmart or Home Depot tonight. I want this sign to be clear dangit! The colors underneath are in good shape on one side, so it's worth the trouble. I'll let ya know what finally works!

waywardangler

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 04:13:53 pm »
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa!  There is fingernail polish remover and then there is fingernail polish remover that contains acetone.  Be very careful with the acetone stuff as that will melt plastic and make other finishes gooey in very short order.  I would not use acetone as a paint remover on anything unless I did not care about taking off ALL the paint - overpaint and everything underneath.