Author Topic: What the Heck is this?  (Read 6095 times)

hija

• View Profile
What the Heck is this?
« on: April 13, 2010, 06:42:46 pm »
A container with a hinged lid, probably pewter from all of the markings. Marked Made In England as well.  Approx. 2 7/8" tall, 1 7/8" wide, circumference 6" - the container is unlined, so it probably wasn't used for jewelry. Simple design, more square than round. Probably from the 1800's. Any suggestions, guesses appreciated. Took it to two antique stores, neither had a clue. It's shape and design seems more masculine than feminine. There is no engraving - nothing overtly decorative about the piece. Someone suggested it might have held men's collar stays.  Would love to know what this is. It's been in my family for three generations!  Thanks. :)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: What the Heck is this?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 06:45:11 pm »
My first guess would be a match safe.   And more important welcome to the forum, we really love this game here  :D

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 07:35:22 pm »
Good guess ironlord I'm goin with you on this one  ;)

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 08:13:24 pm »
If it is a matchsafe, I would think there would be a striker (ribbed area of the metal) somewhere on the outside, usually on one of the edges (bottom would be my guess).  I have no guess yet as to what this is.  I have some questions...Is there a ribbed area on one of the sides?; What is the thickness (front to back)?; Could we see some different views, especially the markings?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 08:25:57 pm by waywardangler »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 10:43:03 pm »
HI WELCOME!

Agree with the others in that we could use a few more pics...different views please!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hija

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 12:05:50 am »
Still a puzzle.  There is no striking surface on the mystery item, no ribbed area. Front to back measurement is about 1 1/4". Two pics added. :) And thank you all for your help!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 04:40:06 am »
Wayward as far as a striker I have a few match safes with no strikers. what they lit the match on is beyond me but not all seem to have them. most I have are more ornate than this also.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 05:36:25 am »
I think they used to strike them on whatever was near them. Didn't someone on this forum recently post a table that had scratches all over the bottom from matches? Rocks, furniture, anything really...

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 06:41:12 am »
The really tough guys probably struck the match on their face (shaved whiskered cheek).  Wendy, are the match safes with no striker earlier? The striker may have been added because the womenfolk were tired of the men striking matches on whatever they could find including the furniture.  :)  Maybe this was for a small box of matches?

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 07:18:48 am »
To funny wayward  :D They made match strikers which were an ashtray type thing that holds matches with ruff sides to strike match this was placed on a table like an ashtray. match holders & ashtray combos,They made match boxes in round, square, rectangle shapes with covers placed on table, match holders open tops to be hung on wall like a picture, holders in many shapes say a small wheel barell to be placed on tables open top and match safes smaller than the rest with covers to be carried with you in pockets.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 09:18:36 am »
Still need another pic....one of the markings that you mentioned previously.  Including the England reference!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Chinese Antique Furniture

• View Profile
    • Chinese Antique Furniture Shop
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 09:54:22 am »
I'm with the "match safe crowd."  Matches could be lit in a ton of ways.  I remember watching a match being lit by someone using just their fingernail.  Seen that lots of times.  Gives you sort of an idea how long I've been around.  Been around long enough to warn everyone,  "Don't get old, it's bad for your health."

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 10:04:37 am »
The thing that is buggins me is the way the hinge is made.  This type is more typical of tin/metal.  But...I guess pewter could be done that way...just haven't seen one.

Need to see the marks to see what this is made of.

hija

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 11:06:53 am »
Thought I'd successfully attached the pic of the markings.... :-\ gonna try again...

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 05:35:27 pm »
EPBM is electroplated Britania Metal. Here is a Wikipedia article that explains Britannia Metal (A pewter-like alloy) and when electroplating became popular (about 1846)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_metal
Antiqueaholic in recovery