Author Topic: Help with Noritake :)  (Read 8219 times)

MythrilDelight

• View Profile
Help with Noritake :)
« on: April 14, 2010, 04:50:07 pm »
Hello, today I was at a thrift store and I purchased what looks like a sugar jar by Noritake.  I was wondering if there was any way to find out the date on it, the name of the pattern and potentially what it is worth.  Ive searched various websites and Ebay and have not been able to find anything remotely close to this.  The little spoon or ladel looks like it does not belong with the set.  The seal on the bottom was a little difficult to get a picture of on account of the glare but it says "Noritake" with a wreath around an M under the wreath it says "handpainted" and below that "made in Japan."  The spoon also has the seal but its fading a bit and I couldnt get a good picture of it.  Here are some pictures :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vtaub/4521998332/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vtaub/4521364679/

I also have what looks like a wine decanter.  It is unmarked and is probably not worth anything.  Its just really unique and very pretty.  It has no marks or seals which is what was odd about it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vtaub/4521364643/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vtaub/4521364665/

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Help with Noritake :)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 04:59:05 pm »
   Pretty cool Noritake, a bit different Then I usually see from Noritake.   The best place to look to find your pattern is Replacements.com, however with a name like Noritake you will have pages and pages to search.   For the most part most Noritake is not old but is quality and semi collected. Don't count on $$.00, but maybe $.00's.  That is a pretty nice Decanter, bet that would fetch a $20.00 bill just from the looks maybe more on the right day and the right person comes along.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 08:25:36 pm »
Hi mythril
Marked: "M" for Morimura in a wreath, crowned by "NORITAKE" and below, "Hand painted" and "Made in Japan". This mark was registred in 1918 and seems to have come in to used in the early 1920's when it was used until around 1940, your ladle shape is correct & does belong with the set, A ladle is what they are called in old ads for Nippon/ Noritake. I believe it is a jam jar set but the under plate is missing, Noritake Mustard jars had a round shape as to why I am leaning  more toward jam jar.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 08:30:50 pm by wendy177 »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 08:43:32 pm »
   I'm Still in a bit of a shock over it being Noritake, Not the usual Noritake look, not that I don't think it is not, sure it is.  That has that style of pottery that was really popular 40's through the 60's look about it.   Can't put my finger on the Style name for this kind of wares, maybe someone could help, been kind of wondering myself.  Anyway went through several pages at replacement, lots more to go but not one item of this style.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 05:47:27 am »
ironlord this could very well be a fake as Nippon & Noritake marks have been done some well some not so well, Impossible to tell from the photo of mark & really would need to handle the piece (weight, detail etc) That is why I gave no value on this piece.would probably not put money on it being authentic. :-[ I have some pieces and as you said not close in appearance.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 06:23:37 am »
This is the only piece I could get close enough to pull out of storage(way to many boxes ;D) This piece is Marked Nippon and is what they call a Wall plaque it is approx. 12"  A simple piece with lots of wear.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 06:25:24 am by wendy177 »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 06:29:55 am »
Not that this is the same pattern, but just wanted to pop it in here to show a similar look which is also attributed to Noritake.

http://chinaminer.canadutch.ca/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=1527&=SID

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 09:51:13 am »
It is a marmalade or jam container.

Doesn't look like any Noritake I have seen.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

MythrilDelight

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 09:52:03 am »
When I was at the thrift store...the jar was marked $1.00...but 2 elderly ladies came over and said thats worth more than a dollar (which they marked it up to $3.00) because its lusterware.  They made it very clear it was lusterware and one even said it was more towards the 1940s.  I did a yahoo image search for Noritake Lusterware and some pictures came up slightly similar but not 100%.  

I went to the Noritake collectors guild website and emailed them and got a response.  Both the treasurer and a gent who knows pre WWII Noritake items told me it was in fact authentic.  The WWII guy told me it was probably dated 1921-1925 but Im thinking later because of the look of the paint.  He too said he's never seen a set quite like that before.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 09:54:34 am by MythrilDelight »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 09:58:17 am »
They did make lots of lusterware....but it doesn't resemble the lusterware I am familiar with over all these years.
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/aimi/item/RL-0440

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:09:49 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

MythrilDelight

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 10:01:58 am »
Wendy, is there anything I can do to help you...like do you want measurements an approx weight and whatnot?  Im sorry I couldnt get a better picture of the seal...its pretty tiny compared to the size of the jar.  The seal on the ladel is exact same (even in colour) but it is starting to fade.

I checked the websites on how to identify a fake Noritake stamp and mine matches an authentic.  The fake ones are very different.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 10:10:44 am »
    O.k. the confusion here grows.  Correct me if I'm wrong but lusterware, is wares that have a iridescent  Glaze over it, not seeing it being Lusterware.  I would not at all be surprise it is Noritake, just a bit different style.  I'm still trying to figure out what they call this style, fruit, Floral relief art ware made of ceramic, with a glossy glaze.  See many of these items every time I go hunting.  Also have a bit hard time believing this is early 19th century, style kinda clashes, more like that post war to late 1900's, again I may be wrong here, but this thread just got me a bit confused as usual  ;)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 10:11:32 am »
For some reason my link wouldn't post earlier.

So here we go again....orange lusterware items - original Noritake seal.
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/decotini/item/DR86

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 10:23:19 am »
Just wanted to say that the more modern items (art deco in style) did not have plates under the jam/jelly jars.

The older and traditional china did.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Unusual-Art-Deco-Noritake-Lustreware-4pc-Jam-Jar-Set_W0QQitemZ130380947545QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1e5b4f6059#ht_2673wt_736

MythrilDelight

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 10:24:19 am »
The stamps on the jars in the picture is the exact same as the one on the jar I have only mine is in green ink

Heres another picture I found..
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/aimi/item/Vintagex20MIJx20Dresserx20Box78x20Jar

KC - I dont know if it came with a plate as it did not come with one at the thrift store :(( I hope its not missing one
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:31:12 am by MythrilDelight »