Author Topic: Old Postcards  (Read 35502 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Old Postcards
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 04:07:39 pm »
Talesof, this is one collection that is fun and adventurous without costing an arm and a leg!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 04:07:54 pm »
I love them too. They are inexpensive little pieces of history. Most of them are really artistic and the photographs are so cool. Makes me wish I lived back then. :)
It's fun collecting ones from your home town or the city you live in. It's strange seeing the streets back then and the way they have transformed into what I see today.  

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 05:36:48 pm »
I was actually looking at some of my tiny little town and showing them to Hubby the other night. I hadn't thought about doing a collection of them though. That would be a fun one. Also there are a lot of them from the old park where I spent years riding my horse when I was growing up. It was a really interesting mineral water spa/retreat kind of place back in the 1800's. Both would be fun to collect.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 05:45:02 pm »
Good seeing these old cards syl,wendy177,& hosman321 and thanks to krickard for getting this subject going.
Here's a couple more.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 07:45:36 pm by Dean Perdue »

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 05:54:02 pm »
2 that I can't figure out who would send something like this.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 06:07:09 pm »
The huntchback and colosseum (named last prayer) postcards have great details.
It amazes me that some of these are only seen when looked at under a magnifying glass.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 01:15:07 am by Dean Perdue »

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 06:22:55 pm »
TOT7S-
Collecting from your town would be awesome.What a great photo reference to have for a then and now scenario.

Wendy177- I love the way the cat is hitching a ride on your Haloween card.lol

Hosman321- I don't think there could be a better rendering of a painted moonlight sky.The Pacific Ave. card is very appealing.Any idea what decade it represents?30's or 40's???

Syl-Quite a collection and well displayed.Very cool to see your own family's history in it. At least you know instead of having to wonder and imagine about who sent the great collectibles.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 08:03:10 pm by Dean Perdue »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 08:47:29 pm »
Dean,
The Pac Ave card is one of my favorites, the scan doesn't bring out it's true colors. I think it may be from the 20's-30's. When I look closely, the dresses and hats on the ladies seem to be from that period. And just the style of the signs and the trolley cars. Not sure though.  :-\

Your cards are amazing, my husband and I are really into medieval times, roman times and ancient history. I've never seen any like those!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 06:42:30 am »
The artwork & history on all your cards is amazing!!!! Most of mine are silly & fun but I love the more serious pieces of art you all have!! A few more fun ones.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 09:11:03 am »
Oh the cats are adorable! They remind me of a book I had as a kid!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010, 09:30:42 am »
      Got me wanting to dig around for a small pile of cards I got from my grandmother, proabably not impressive stuff, but this thread has got me curious now.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010, 10:21:55 am »
Wendy177,
Nice to see your additional contributions.Funny for sure. My favorite is the dentist visit. Who can't relate to this situation and at least it brings humor to something not funny to most.

Are these done by the same artist? Cool to see a 'same theme' grouping like this. I wonder how many were in this series.
Thanks for sharing them and the laughs.

Ironlord- I'd be intrested to see your cards. Sometimes it's amazing to look at what cards sold for then wonder why. I've seen ones go for $40 -50 and couldn't imagine why so I guess what is uninteresting to some may be intriguing to others.
Like Tales said she is after a specific type that would be desireable to her for her own reasons but maybe the seller thinks it has no value because he can't relate to it in any way.

Krickard- How did you make out with your situation?If you didn't give them up and will be photographing these anyway I'd love to see a sample of the ones you feel are special or appealing.
I see your thread is gaining momentum.What a great topic.

Best to all.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 01:19:05 am by Dean Perdue »

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2010, 10:39:28 am »
I have a few more interesting ones. One shows you how to kiss the Blarney Stone, the one of the church has a wheel you can turn
to see different saints in the little windows at the top, three views of Pompei showing an artist concept of the original city and what it looks like now, or back in the 1930s I guess, and a card from Mt. Ranier that you can fill out according to what you did there.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2010, 06:44:39 pm »
Nice cards syl.
The Blarney stone is something I never heard of so I looked it up.Here's one of many links that were found.
http://www.sacredsites.com/europe/ireland/blarney_stone.html
With my luck I'd be thinking to try the new way over the old in this situation at least.

The church card is awesome IMO with many good things going for it like great detailing,architecture,saints,a angel with a sword and shield (very cool),and even a spinning device that I've never seen before.
Looks like the type of card that has lots going on.Very nice.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 01:21:58 am by Dean Perdue »

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 08:25:58 pm »
Thanks Dean. I didn't really know much about the Blarney Stone either but that link you gave was very informative. And everyone is right about collecting cards because you can find them at every antique mall around and they aren't expensive. But there is a lot of history there.