Author Topic: Old Postcards  (Read 35497 times)

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
Re: Old Postcards
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2010, 10:02:54 pm »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2010, 10:19:44 pm »
Wow, what is the text on the bottom of the last one? I felt so sorry for the poor woman (who appears she is about to be martyred) that I attempted a Bablefish translation, which will usually give me the general idea of what it says. No such luck with this one!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2010, 10:54:30 pm »
Google translator is working well for me but I can't figure out what some of the letters are in those words so I gave up! Something about being disarmed and tied up at the bright hour in the night? :P
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 10:56:52 pm by hosman321 »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2010, 11:10:37 pm »
Yeah I wasn't sure sometimes about "f" versus "s" and so on. Kinda thought it should have a caption like- "You think your day was bad?!!"

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2010, 12:17:15 am »
Something about being disarmed and tied up at the bright hour in the night? :P

lol.Btw Hosman, that is a great looking high school on your plate and postcard.

TOT7S-
Wish I knew the exact translation,but don't. My guess is its a representation of Germania (being Germany)  held powerless by jackals (being other nations).Maybe the light signifies hope.Also thought the rays of light looked somewhat like the outline of a eagle.. but probably tripping out :o

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2010, 12:24:04 am »
It really is a gorgeous high school right on the bay and was recently restored. Personally, I loved it's charm and "patina" before the restoration but with buildings, I know that safety comes first. The movie "10 Things I Hate About You" was filmed there. The pool is underground and when you walk up to the school's front entrance, parts of the sidewalk are glass cubes so you can see below. It's pretty cool, I'll see if I can find pics. ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadium_High_School
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 12:32:52 am by hosman321 »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2010, 01:57:06 am »
Wow, neat building with lots of history!

Mindings

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2010, 05:00:33 am »
Thanks Sapphire
You are right there are lots there - I don't know why I hadn't looked before.
Philip

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2010, 09:30:29 am »
The script really is difficult to read .. I think I can also make out 'Steel hope' and then 'hour of redemption' .. so put all that together and we may get something.. or not

No clues on the back of the card?

I think I prefer TOTSS's caption!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:32:16 am by mariok54 »

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2010, 01:10:05 pm »
A few more.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2010, 01:14:40 pm »
One for Christmas

waywardangler

« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2010, 01:18:22 pm »
Where do you find most of your cards, Dean?  I am not asking for a specific site but more general like antique shops, ephemera meets, online dealers, etc.  Years ago I received Barr's Postcard news but it got so overwhelming and my focus was so narrow (antique fishing cards - real photo), I quit receiving it.

My pic is actually a crop of a real photo postcard.  The whole boy and fish is below but cropped of extraneous studio surroundings.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:24:44 pm by waywardangler »

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2010, 01:39:05 pm »
Wow cool Wayward.I assumed your avatar was you or your father as a child.lol.
Funny what we think is a reality without a second thought compared to what really is.
Guess everyone's world is just a preception right or wrong.

Back to the question... I get postcards mainly from online sources and lots of time searching eBay.
I know exactly what you mean by it becoming overwhelming as to get the one you want and like you have to view thousands of others.Countless hours wasted for sure.

If there's anything in particular that your after let me know and if I see it being offered I'll shoot you the link via pm.Just let me know the criteria, whether painted or photograph or from what time period or whatever.

BTW just looked on eBay and there seems to be lots of antique photo fishing cards.Maybe your after something very specific though.Heres on I found within seconds.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LIBERTY-NY-Fly-Fishing-Mongaup-c1905-Postcard-/330506294507?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf3b5d4eb

Do you have any more fishing ones in your collection and are they tough to come by?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:52:19 pm by Dean Perdue »

waywardangler

« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2010, 03:39:50 pm »
I have a few and they are not that hard to come by.  I like postally used ones of an angler and his fish with the back telling what, where, who, etc.  Any that show a good clear shot of the lure used is a plus and the cards must be before 1920s or so.  I casually look at them now as I used to spend hours, like you said, looking at them.  I am trying to scale back on all of my interests but it is very hard to get the brain on that same track.  Advertising cards from fishing tackle manufacturers or toolmakers still pique my interest as they seem to be really scarce.  I recently picked up a real photo of a wheelright holding a traveler standing in front of his shop flanked by two wagon wheels he made.  His young daughter was also in the photo holding a small maul.  A traveler is a wheeled device used to measure the circumference of a wheel to measure the strip of iron used to band the wheel.  It was misidentified and I picked it up very cheap.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2010, 06:17:54 pm »
Wow, the discussion today on patent medicines got me looking at Ebay for Victorian trade cards. All kinds of interesting stuff there! Here's a few samples: