Author Topic: Old Postcards  (Read 35479 times)

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
Re: Old Postcards
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2010, 06:15:02 pm »
Posting one of my newest additions to keep a great thread going.Great detailed art IMO.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2010, 03:48:48 am »
Well, I've been collecting the Tacoma area cards over the last several months and I swear I have 99 percent of the ones made before 1920. It got really addicting! Just thought it'd be cool to show this plate that I just bought on ebay. It has all the exact same images from my postcards. I had to have it when I saw it. I have all the cards except the "Gateway to the City of Destiny" card. I see it on ebay often, maybe I should stop being lazy and actually get it. ;)

By the way, great card Dean. Very detailed, kind of takes you back in time for a moment. :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:12:44 am by hosman321 »

Mindings

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2010, 08:02:50 am »
I often look on American Sites that have postcards from Europe for sale. (Being in the UK myself!)
I have been amazed at how many cards from England turn up and my wife originating from an Island off the south coast called the Isle of Wight, we do watch out for any from there.

Amazingly we have seen some that are extremely common being offered for prices that were way too high and others that were extremely rare way too low.

Postcards do have the advantage that even when mailed overseas, they are relatively cheap to mail. For anyone considering selling any overseas cards I would strongly suggest looking in places like Ebay just to see what typical prices are like.

Just for an example, in a place called Bembridge there in a place called the Pilot Boat Inn. It's unusual in that the outside of this Inn was shaped like a boat. Postcards were made in their thousands and are extremely common. They rarely fetch much more than say $1.50. However, about a year ago someone advertised a postcard which had a picture of the Pilot Boat Inn before they made the outside into it's unique shape. Despite being pretty ugly as a building. This was so rare it fetched close to $100 on auction.
Phil

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2010, 08:12:01 am »
Phil,
I agree that prices are all over the place for postcards. Sometimes I get lucky and find a card for $1.50 Buy It Now on ebay and other times they go for $20. Sometimes you've just got to catch them quick before anybody else snatches them up. I bought that Gateway to the City of Destiny card I was missing last night. I feel like I paid a fortune at $7.00 but I really wanted it, so it's worth it to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=370077436232&si=cwgtvqOmS7zeG7E%252Febp7koPohzs%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Every once in awhile I stroll over to the UK Ebay but not too often. I have never looked for postcards over there, you're right about shipping being cheap and easy. By the way, welcome to the forum! I'd love to hop over to your side of the pond someday, I really would love to see England or Ireland! Have you ever been to the states?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:20:22 am by hosman321 »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2010, 08:30:11 am »
Oo UK ebay does have this Nereides Baths ones I want pretty bad, haven't seen that particular one before.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USA-Washington-TACOMA-Nerides-Salt-Water-Baths-1909-PPC-/390015197144?pt=UK_Collectables_Postcards_MJ&hash=item5aceb79fd8
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:32:13 am by hosman321 »

Mindings

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2010, 08:30:34 am »
Hi

Yes indeed, I've been very lucky in visiting the USA on a lot of occasions. For quite a while, I worked for an American Company in their UK office, so had to visit their various US offices from time to time. I also had the opportunity to attend various exhibitions and seminars which took me around. My eldest son married an American Lady and now lives near Philadelphia. She's a Hospital Doctor. My 2nd son did work for a number of years in California, but he got home sick and is now back in the UK.

You really must try and get over to the UK, I'm sure you'd love it. At least we speak notionally the same language, although we spell things a little differently sometimes.

I mainly collect antiquarian books, although it's mainly my wife that collects postcards of her home, originally on the Isle of Wight. She has many going right back to Victorian times. We also have some very early guide books as it has always been a popular tourist destination, even back then.

If you or anyone els needs any advice on either travel to the UK or on English Antiques I will always try and help if I can.

Mindings

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2010, 08:32:27 am »
Great - I feel good that you've spotted something there!

Phil

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2010, 04:41:22 pm »
Mindings, don't overlook ebay Canada.........lots of 'come from aways' here so there was plenty of correspondence back and forth between UK and here. ;)

http://collectibles.shop.ebay.ca/Postcards-/914/i.html?rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_nkw=isle%20of%20wight&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2010, 05:30:54 pm »
Hosman, you think $7 is bad? This one is what I would call "crazy expensive". I sometimes look for old postcards from the tiny mountain town I live in. This one has a price of $125/offer!!! *choke!*

http://cgi.ebay.com/1900s-Boulder-Creek-Band-CA-RPPC-Postcard-/110561688023?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bdfd79d7
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2010, 05:36:33 pm »
Tales...  WOW!  If they want $125 I think they need to track down a close relative of one of the band members...  Even then...
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2010, 05:38:09 pm »
I'd be willing to pay something like $10 and donate it to the local museum. But $125 is way out of line.

waywardangler

« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2010, 05:55:49 pm »
Old band photos such as that are fairly common.  It seems every town had a band in the late 1890s and early 1900s.  $125 is WAY out of it and I suspect the seller knows that.  The seller is looking for that one fish to bite.  I see some for my area priced at $99.99 with no takers.  The sellers are not local so I think they are just fishing also.  $7 for a good card is a good price and not high in my opinion.  Real photo postcards of certain subjects seem to bring good prices.  I have a nice colorized photo on cardstock of "The Battery" at St. John's NF that I picked locally for $3 at a garage sale.  I had no idea where it was from until I did a lot of research with the internet and a loupe.  Loupes are invaluable.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2010, 06:39:05 pm »
$7 is a good price, not a fortune. But it's the highest I've ever paid for 1 postcard that isn't a RPPC (real photo postcard). I usually pay less than $5 with free shipping. I need to look at Canada ebay, too. Didn't even think of it!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2010, 07:05:32 pm »
Yeah the seller probably got it in a box of stuff at the local flea market. Original photos show up all the time and I wouldn't think a postcard photograph would increase the value at all. It's interesting and worth a few bucks surely, but I agree, only a family member would shell out that kind of dough for it. Looks like a hostage situation to me!

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2010, 10:01:13 pm »
I'm glad to see this thread resurrected again.Thanks Hosman and all who contributed.
Hoping a few might enjoy a couple more additions as much as I have enjoyed yours.
I really think these collectibles have something for everyone.