Author Topic: My mothers old kitchen cabinet  (Read 3947 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: My mothers old kitchen cabinet
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 10:46:30 am »
Is there any brand name sticker on the back? Or maybe a little metal plaque?" I looked through the old ads and found some very similar 1920's McDougal and Sellers brand ones, but none exactly like yours. I also saw one branded "Border Queen" that was similar.

One question about the flour bin- Is there glass looking into the bin, so that you can see the level of the flour in it, or are we looking at the tin side of the flour bin through glass? I'm not seeing anything like in the other examples, but yours sure LOOKS 100% original. I don't think the glass was added later, but wonder if it could have been? So many of them had thin wood in the doors that warped. Can you take a look inside the cabinets at how the glass is mounted to see if it looks consistent with the rest of the cabinet, or if it might have been a later addition?

« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 11:26:40 am by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 12:31:09 pm »
Agree sapphire - Love my Mac!  We have 6 of them in our family - they don't get viruses - they are awesome!  Having a son in the movie animation industry who insisted I learn it and change over (after a couple of years of nagging - teaching an old dog new tricks) I am ecstatic.  I also have Parallels (a Mac with a PC option to it for applications that I need a PC for).

This cabinet is nice and extra special in that it does look pretty much original!!!!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 04:13:43 am »
I hadn't heard of one with linoleum. One question about the flour bin- Is there glass looking into the bin, so that you can see the level of the flour in it, or are we looking at the tin side of the flour bin through glass?

Tales, the linoleum covers were affixed to the work surface top by the owners themselves. One can find a lot of old kitchen tables that have been refurbished in the same manner. 

And looking at the 2nd photo that Sapphire posted I believe the tin portion of the flour bin is permanently affixed to the door and thus the glass is to permit one to see the amount of flour in the bin.

It would not have been a good thing if the cook ran out of flour because bread was usually baked fresh for every meal. And the misses didn't have a car to quickly run to the store to get another 10 lb or 25 lb  sack of flour.

I remember my mother baking at least one (1) pan of biscuits for bout every meal. And she had a "trick" for hurridly doing it. A large stoneware bowl that she always kept about half-full of flour and when she wanted to make biscuits she would take her fist and wallow out a depression in the flour, pour in the buttermilk and a dash of baking powders and start mixing it around with her fingers until she had a perfect ball of dough, lift it out and onto the counter where she would roll it out and cut the biscuits out and into the greased pan and into the oven. And I betcha it didn't take her much more that 5 minutes to do that. Maybe 8 minutes if one counted the time it took to put a big spoon of lard in the pan and onto the stove to heat it up.  ;D ;D

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 04:20:07 am »
Before I head to work, played with it a bit.

Shows up a heck of a lot bigger on my screen  :-\

Edited to add.......don't mind me, forgot it enlarges....... doing a back to back and I'm not awake yet.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 05:03:07 am »
Ha, that's why I'm highly dependent on that 1st cup of coffee.

Just click on the 2nd picture in Reply #6, and the enlarged view shows it quite plainly.