Author Topic: See anything that stands out?  (Read 8741 times)

syl

• View Profile
Re: See anything that stands out?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 09:30:21 am »
To appraise an estate of that size will cost thousands of dollars because theres more to it than just looking at it and giving an opinion of value. A proper appraisal involves researching each item for auction results and sales at dealers and you don't need all that. Maybe get the furniture and any other obviously valuable items appraised but leave the rest of it to a REPUTABLE estate sale firm. They will go through everything and evaluate it and price it according to what they think it will sell for at a sale. They will want to get as much as possible for it because, after all, they get paid by commission. But if you insist on getting a full appraisal, get the price up front.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 11:17:34 am »
Welcome to the forum , up2no6ood .

To add to the sage comments of other members , I'll toss in a little cayenne ( it's only two cents worth )...

Although you've post some details of your situation with this estate , I'm sure there's more to the story .

Selling off an estate (in a hurry) often leads to some disappointment due to demand , timing of the sale & other considerations that are extensive , regardless of the professionalism of the folks in charge of such liquidations .

Aside from the emotional/familiar concerns , there may be legal ones (depending on the net worth of your mothers' estate) & ones involving tax statutes .

Perhaps you folks might consider placing a reputable/trustworthy person , more experienced with such things , in the role of executor of estate (if there is none presently) ?

It's tough to figure out exactly what you've got in the extensive collection depicted in your posted images , except to say you've got alot ! In addition to this , I'll comment that you may find replica items , along with authentic ones , included in the collection - without expertise in identifying what is what you'll be in the situation of ignorance , as to the fair-market-value of many items (IMO) .

Thanks for posting here , up2no6ood .

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 11:45:01 am »
Up2, you mentioned you have some oil paintings. If you could post photos of those along with the artist signatures we might be able to help you with approx. values.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 12:17:39 pm »
good catch syl
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 03:17:36 am »
Where is D&B at, I think his expertise is really needed to help up2no6ood resolve her dilema. I would not be dubious at all in having him give a quick appraisal of an estate.

up2no6ood

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 05:46:39 am »
The split went perfect. I guess my sister just couldn't stand to have a price put on our mothers collection. We split all the glass yesterday. We made it fair by taking turns and picking "groups of glass" basically I would pick an entire shelf of glass then she would. After the glass we split up the furniture. I got stuck with the huge wall cabinet :) but got some gorgeous pieces.  Today will be the oil lamps, coins, and paintings. Our mother would be so happy to see things are going this well. Thanks for all the replies I cant wait to post some pictures!!!!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 09:07:25 am »
OH GOOD!! I am so glad to hear that it is going well and that it's turning out to be a positive experience, as much as something like this can be. I'm glad you and your sister were able to get her feelings out in the open and that it was all grounded in love for Mom. Best wishes for a smooth time with the rest.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 10:47:26 am »
It is funny how this affected me.  I was really concerned for these individuals I didn't even know and held a family discussion about it.  Great opportunity to approach this with my family in depth.

uptonogood - so glad to hear that all is going well.  Whew!!!!!!  I hope you can find this to be an enjoyable time in light of the passing of your mother!  God Bless!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 11:04:10 am »
Thanks for posting the great (& adult/peaceful) progress on the estate issues .

I'm happy to see you've found acceptable & rational means to deal with the division of the property left to you folks !

:)

up2no6ood

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 07:13:34 pm »
Here is a photo album of about 20% of the glass I received. All the boxes under the table are still packed full.
http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c226/jmg0529/Estate/
Its been a long weekend and i am ready for bed. I'm not happy with the way things were handled but I am happy with the fairness of the split. The main problem is I live an hour from my mothers. So carting this stuff home is a challenge. The glass was hard enough i am dreading the transport of 22 oil lamps, 6 curio cabinets, tables chairs....  I would have been nice to just have an estate auction at my mothers and take home the few pieces that are dear to us.   

stay tuned for more pictures

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 07:30:20 pm »
OMG!!!!  :o

I can already hear ironlord's fingers clawing at his monitor..........re member dear, tears are still considered moisture and will hurt
your keyboard. :D

up2, you have some incredible pieces there......now that those who are familiar with 'glass' can catch a better glimpse you'll
be able to learn much more about them. Hopefully transferring the rest will not be too stressful.  Take a breather, then let
us all see your treasures.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 11:32:38 pm »
Bring lots of newspaper boxes etc. to wrap 'em!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 11:45:51 pm »
Wish I lived near you...I would take my trailer over and help you! 

This is like Christmas/Birthdays/Holidays of a lifetime all rolled together at once!!!!!

up2no6ood

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 05:56:31 pm »
added some more pics. This time china!!! I cant wait to get the cabinets home so we can get this beautiful stuff displayed! http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c226/jmg0529/Estate/

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 06:39:01 pm »
WOW!!!