Author Topic: Is this cake stand an antique?  (Read 3533 times)

cathilarie

• View Profile
Is this cake stand an antique?
« on: April 24, 2010, 08:46:03 pm »
  Hi all! My name is Cat and I have tried to search the net for info on this cake stand/plate. I received it as a wedding gift from an aunt who is an antique collector and she said it was an antique. I was just wondering if anyone might know anything about this and maybe an approximate value? I seen a few on ebay that were similar but more fancy. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You for taking the time out to read my post.
                                                              Cat

waywardangler

Re: Is this cake stand an antique?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 09:47:54 pm »
Hmmmm, I do not know anything about cake stands but I am fairly knowledgeable about cakes.  Where's the cake? ;D

Maybe ironlord could weigh in on this.  He is quite knowledgeable on glass.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 10:34:10 pm by waywardangler »

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 09:56:38 pm »
Welcome to the forum , cathilarie .

I'm not much of an authority on glass from the era that I'm guessing yours is from , but others here sure are .

Nice little cake stand .

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 10:43:48 pm »
    Nice Cake plate for sure.  I did look through my books in hope of finding a clue to the pattern, but I mostly have books on Pressed Glass.  It would appear you have a cut Crystal one.  I have search a couple of times before looking for cut Crystal patterns on Cake plate.  Can be very hard, since many of these was made just for weddings and not part of a Dinnerware set.  I assume it has no markings, which would not be a surprise.  These would be hard to date without knowing the pattern.  I personnally think it would be Depression era at the most, but That would just be a guess, based on the images.  I will look around at a couple of EAPG Books I have, but I'm sure they will come up dry too.  Just want to mostly say welcome to the forum and thanks for posting such a wonderful item.   

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 11:55:11 pm »
Your best bet would be to call your Aunt and ask her the pattern name and manufacturer - because you may want to add pieces in this beautiful pattern!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 04:12:38 am »
Welcome Cat.  I can't be of much help to you either but if you're super bored today there are some old catalogues (online)
that I posted links to in the Special Threads section.  Even though they're mostly Canadian quite a bit of the stock likely came
from the US and abroad. It's quite easy to 'flip' through the pages to the crystal sections.........ma ybe something there that
will jump out at you.  I'll check in when I get back from work and see how the hunt is going.  ;)

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 04:53:16 am »
My guess is that it is "pressed glass" and possibly one of the old Pattern Glass designs.

I can't see the pattern that well but it looks something like a Quilted Diamond.   

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 07:37:03 am »
Hi cat one way to tell pressed glass from cut glass is to run your fingers along the pattern itself if it is pressed it will feel smooth on all edges, rounded on each point of the pattern if cut it will feel sharp & very angular on each point of the pattern also many pressed glass pieces had seam lines on the piece but not always as with more expensive pressed glass pieces great care went into buffing and removing such seams. Will dig a little for your pattern.

cathilarie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 12:30:54 am »
Thank you all for your replies and taking the time to try to help me. The reason I am looking for what pattern this is and whether it is an antique or not is because I am now divorced and am looking to sell this item because I fell upon some hard times trying to make it on my own for the first time ever in my life. So I REALLY appreciate all of your help.

Cat

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 01:15:42 pm »
Good luck with all that Cat. I was a single mom for 11 years and it is never easy to make your own way, especially in the current economy. But you can do it. Be strong but kind, and things will work out OK. Best wishes.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 02:36:32 pm »
Yes cat good luck & will pray your situation improves!!!!! Not easy but as tales said be kind and keep the faith all will be OK. It is easy to be kind & have faith when things are good but when they are tough that it is the real test of strength & character.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 10:50:01 pm »
Best of luck and pray you find the strength and gumption to make it through this time...and come out on top!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!