Author Topic: Shipping large items question???  (Read 3393 times)

Blonde1

• View Profile
Shipping large items question???
« on: May 02, 2010, 03:18:22 pm »
ok, I have sent large items by USPS, I have a large dollhouse and some antique furniture to sell.  What is the least expensive way to ship large items?  UPS Ground? By greyhound? I don't care about it being the easiest way, I'd rather they pay more for item than shipping! ;D  I could easily put a chair in a box and send it USPS but my roll top desk....dought it ::)
Again, the cheapest way please, its all about the buyer NOT the seller IMO 8)
Thx Blonde1

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Shipping large items question???
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 04:57:14 pm »
     I have found at work that shipping Fed Ex Ground is usually the least expensive.  This is also much safer then USPS.  USPS does excellent on items weighing under 4 of 5 lbs.  Big Heavy bulky and etc, is best with the Bigger carriers.  The biggest problem with shipping any thing big and Heavy, Handling become much more of a risk.  Personnally I hate when I see someone drag in a 50lb box into USPS. It just might land on my 3 lb glassware item.

Blonde1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 06:48:35 pm »
Makes sence thanks ;D  I print my own postage threw paypal, I tried USPS but their site didn't like card soooooo!  Fed Ex unfortunatly is not option on Paypal so I've never considered it. Thanks Ironlord, you rock I will run out and check with them and UPS tomorrow. 
  Oh, do they charge more to package big items or for like a rolltop desk they just put it on a  truck?
Thanks, Blonde

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 08:29:30 pm »
   Personnally I hate when I see someone drag in a 50lb box into USPS. It just might land on my 3 lb glassware item.

Lol...Funny in a sad way Ironlord.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 09:08:17 pm »
  Wow as for a Rooltop desk, you would be looking at freight.  Over 150lbs. is Freight, Yellow Freight is the cheapest usually here, on a pallet and a crate for protection.  Personally never sent anything like that.  I would think that would easily make the cost of freight out weight the value of the item  ;)

Blonde1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 12:45:24 am »
Ya know I was thinking that selling a rolltop desk on Ebay probably is not worth it  My Mom moved into a retirement home ( and I'm NOT happy about that! :-[) so I'm have an estate sale for her, I think I will try selling these big things there, but not cheap!  so as soon as I get good photos of this rolltop desk and chairs I'll ask all of ya what ya think I should price them at because I am Clueless