Author Topic: Lantern Oil?  (Read 4305 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Lantern Oil?
« on: May 03, 2010, 06:10:26 pm »
Ok, how sad is it that I've never had an oil burning lantern? I bought a magic lantern and I read somewhere online to use a good quality mineral oil. But I read online that there are like...4 different types of mineral oil and it's important to use the right one. How do I know which one to use? Can I use any kind? Can it be found at a store like Walmart? Is there any reason I can't just use standard lamp oil? Sorry, I just don't know what to put in there! Thanks guys. And gals.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 06:16:43 pm by hosman321 »

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Lantern Oil?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 09:35:18 pm »
Nevermind. I can't believe it was so insanely difficult to find kerosene in my area. I just used tiki torch fuel. Works wonderfully.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 11:44:34 pm »
They also sell the smokeless oil in the candle section at Walmart!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 01:26:36 am »
I looked there, too! All they had was reed diffuser oil. The tiki torch fuel does smell though. Oh well, I'll find kerosene somewhere. Thanks!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 02:47:41 am »
hosman, found this article that might help with choosing. Interesting that they caution not to use mineral oil.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4925166_how-lamp-oil-made.html

I keep oil lamps handy year round as we're prone to power outages (why always a night  ???  ). We have
'Pure Lamp Oil' available at both the local hardware store and the pharmacy.  Check camping sections or
any place that carries emergency supplies, that's also where you should find kerosene.  My lamp oil is liquid
paraffin (kerosene), smokeless and odorless.....which is great for indoors. Have also heard that some 'dollar
stores' sell it.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 03:13:42 am »
Great, now I'm really confused! :)
I'll check the ACE hardware soon. I didn't try there. I find it amazing that nobody has a clue what I'm talking about when I ask at stores. They look at me like I'm crazy. I say, "oil burning lamp" or, "kerosene lamp" and they reply, "A WHAT??"  :-\
Here's one of the links that said mineral oil. The one I bought is the E.P Standard.
http://www.luikerwaal.com/newframe_uk.htm?/merk_ep1_uk.htm

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 05:16:34 am »
Well now, that's a new one on me, ..... using mineral oil in a kerosene lamp.

Hosman, don't be asking those young clerks ..... old questions.

Lowe's, Home Depot or any store that sells kerosene heaters or lamps will also most probably sell kerosene, including the colored & scented type for lamps. Or go to a Truck Stop service station and buy a gallon but take a container with you to put it in.

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 07:13:45 am »
If you buy kerosene from a bulk tank (truck stop), make sure it goes in a blue container and not a red one (red denotes gasoline) so you do not get them mixed up at home.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 05:56:18 am »
Right on Wayward. One time someone had a lawnmower that just up n' quit running and they ask me to help them get it started. Well now, I'm pretty much an expert on lawnmowers, .... but now that time, ...... it took me maybe 45 minutes to diagnose the problem ........ and I did it with my nose ..... when I got a good "wiff" of the gasoline they had just refilled it up with.

I had checked out everything except the kerosene in the gas tank. ;D ;D ;D

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 06:01:20 pm »
Ok, one more question about lanterns. I bought my first actual lantern about a week ago. I finally found bottled kerosene. It was way way too strong for use inside the house. Even with a tiny little flame. I was worried about killing all my birds, so I found lamp oil, which was supposed to be odorless. Definitely not odorless. So, the lamp has been hanging in the room unused for 2 or 3 days. The smell in the room is so strong I get headaches. Half or 3/4 of the oil has disappeared in the past few days of not being used. I touched the lamp and it is very warm, almost hot. There is no flame. Why is it so warm with no flame? Is that normal? Why is it evaporating/disappearing so quickly? I just don't get it. Thanks for info for this newbie!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 06:13:42 pm »
According to this article:
http://www.answers.com/topic/kerosene-lamp-1

Lots of info at the link above including a link to a historic lantern forum.

"...Operation and Maintenance
Strong odors can be caused by the design of the lamp burner and chimney. Generally, larger lamp burners emit less odor than very small burners. Stale fuel, gummy burners, and clogged, dirty wicks are the main causes of strong odors. If a kerosene lamp is not used regularly, it should be emptied of kerosene, and the font (fuel tank), wick, and burner should be cleaned before storage.

The wick of a wick lamp may need to be trimmed periodically. The shape in which a flat wick is cut affects the shape of the flame it produces."

Also some good info here about not filling them too full:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2204900_enjoy-maintain-kerosene-lamp-heater.html
Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 06:18:11 pm »
Scary tales! I filled the dang thing almost to the top. The wick looked pretty new but I think I'll replace it anyways. Should help with the smell.  What about the heat it is producing? I may just empty it and never use it. Disappointing.  :-\
But I'd really rather not burn the house down.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 06:20:04 pm by hosman321 »

Miss Platnum

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 03:10:26 am »
I'm a huge fan of antique accessories in my house so in my kitchen I placed some oil lamps to have a good atmosphere :) I buy kerosene from a bulk tank and I don't have any problem. Good luck guys ;)

http://antiquescanr.com

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 06:35:03 am »
Hosman, if that is a picture of your “light” in Reply #9 then it is a lamp, not a lantern.

And what you stated here, to wit:

The smell in the room is so strong I get headaches. Half or 3/4 of the oil has disappeared in the past few days of not being used. I touched the lamp and it is very warm, almost hot. There is no flame. Why is it so warm with no flame? Is that normal? Why is it evaporating/disappearing so quickly?

Tells me your lamp is still “lit”, but not “burning”, but rather “glowing” or “smoldering” like a kerosene heater.

If your lamp was COMPLETELY OUT there would be no smell of kerosene and it would not be disappearing out of the fuel bowl unless the bowl was cracked and the kerosene dripping out on the floor.

A slight smell of kerosene will be noticed when the lamp is first lit while you are putting the globe back on it and/or sometimes when the flame is put out. If you can smell the kerosene when it is burning with a "flame" then the wick needs to be trimmed. The smell is caused by "incomplete combustion" of the kerosene and will "blacken up" the inside of the globe. (Which you will then have to wash.)

My guess is someone put the wrong width (size) wick in it. That wick has to be the same width and thickness as the burner opening. Like so, to wit: 

One really shouldn't put that smaller width wick in the larger burner.

And ps: there is really no such thing as “an old wick”, only wrong size wicks or “used up wicks” which become too short to be in contact to the kerosene in the fuel bowl.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 11:21:48 am »
cogar, I commend you on your wording/explanation of what was/is happening with the lamp!

Totally agree.  People don't realize the importance of properly fitting a wick to a lamp - they fail to realize the implications (such as this one still being lit).

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!