Author Topic: Newbie here with an ambiguous Hand Painted Tea Kettle! Help!  (Read 1916 times)

Inkslinger

• View Profile
Hopefully you fine folks can help me figure out what this tea kettle is all about, as my extensive online research has left me cross eyed.  I bought this at an estate sale for 8 bucks...thought it looked pretty neat and hopefully antique-ish.  It is a tea kettle with a hand painted farm scene on it...white fence, silo, trees, bushes, roosters, chickens da dada da farm scene.  It has a wood handle and a wooden knob on the top of the...top.  There is a signature of "Elliott" on it as well.  The bottom of the kettle reads "Made in USA...PRINCES (possible company name I believe, A little hard to decipher) and pure aluminum stamped into it.  I tried taking pictures of the stamping but it is tough to read with the naked eye as is.  I have no idea if this is an antique or a vintage painted kettle from some unknown guy in sticksville, usa who painted farm scenes for fun on sundays.  Any help would be delightful!  Thanks guys!

waywardangler

Re: Newbie here with an ambiguous Hand Painted Tea Kettle! Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 12:46:02 am »
I am voting for the unknown guy from sticksville that painted farm scenes on Sundays.  Nicely done though.  I think you have your $8 worth.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 06:25:58 am »
I would have too agree. can you imagine, what heat would do to the paint. but it is a nice Goose neck kettle.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 10:18:02 am »
Totally agree with the others.

Nice buy.  Beautiful display piece!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 10:48:57 am »
Welcome to the forum , Inkslinger .

If you're really into finding the Holy Grail , you could post images of your tea kettle on various tole painting sites/forums .

There were several "Elliot" painters of the tole-type ... seeing as your item has a distinctive sig on it , I'd give you more than a 50-50 chance of finding out the identity of the painter who did the work on your item .

Most of the acrylic tole painting was done from the 1950's forward , so the 'history' on the painter would be fairly recent , IMO .

Inkslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 08:40:06 pm »
Appreciate all the responses everybody!  I agree as well...it is a great piece picked up on the cheap.  Also, thanks regularjoe for that info...i'll do some homework on that asap!  Thanks again for reading gang!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 09:25:28 pm »
Totally off subject, but is "inkslinger" your screen name because you're a tattoo artist or is it for something else all together?

Inkslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 09:57:56 pm »
I actually hate needles!! Haha.  Inkslinger cause I'm a writer...

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 01:07:18 am »
I was going to say writer. :) No really, I was!
Most of the tattoo people I know call themselves ink slingers so just thought I'd ask. I literally get nauseous and have to close my eyes if I see a needle on tv or in person. Somehow, a tattoo was really simple for me though. Didn't even flinch. I guess it's because the gun looks nothing like a needle. Anyways, cool lookin' tea kettle!