Author Topic: Newbie-ish with two porcelain items picked up at garage sale...  (Read 2014 times)

Inkslinger

• View Profile
I bought this oyster plate and this tableware set for 17 big ones at a garage sale.  I've done research on both items and marks/stamps but need more help and possible values.  Thanks a ton!

First Item:

Oyster plate with an blue "shield" or "beehive" stamp and an F&M stamp.  I researched that it is most likely a "Royal Vienna" knockoff made by Fischer and Mieg.  Is this correct?  Possible dating and value?

Second Item:

Two "decanters", a small bowl and tray.  All pieces are stamped "Royal Crown Hand painted 2799".  This one gave me a headache trying to do the research.  Possible origin, dating and value?

Thanks for reading and looking guys and gals.  Hopefully I'm not too much of a pain!

« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 07:32:48 pm by Inkslinger »

waywardangler

Re: Newbie-ish with two porcelain items picked up at garage sale...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 10:52:05 pm »
I do not know anything about either item but would just like to know what "17 big ones" means.  When I use the term, I would mean 17 one hundred dollar bills or $1700 but I just can't imagine anyone asking that kind of money at a garage sale.  Inkslinger (I love your handle by the way), do you mean seventeen dollar bills or $17 when you use the term "big ones"?  I am just trying to clarify the buy price in my mind as I might be using the term "big ones" wrong.

Inkslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 11:10:00 pm »
Haha...sorry for the confusion.  17 Dollars.  It wasn't a Sotheby's garage sale fortunately!  Sorry again.

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 05:46:29 am »
Yup, looks like Fischer & Mieg. The term "Royal Vienna knockoff" however is incorrect as the shield (a Bindenschild) shown has nothing to do with the version originally used by the first Vienna factory. As the shield (by now mostly dubbed 'beehive' as folks have no idea) was never protected in any form it was over time legally copied by tons of manufacturers and decorators. The only dubious aspect of these items is that many sellers try to pass them off as items which they are not, namely made by the first royal manufactory in Vienna. 

The shown 'Royal Crown' mark belonged to the New York based 'Arnart Creations' (later 'Arnart Imports') and was in use between 1965 and 1987, the item itself was made in Japan.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 07:13:40 am »
Inkslinger,
One thing us "newbies" need to remember when collecting is this:
What do I feel this item is worth to me personally?
In other words, are you keeping these items for yourself or are you planning on buying antiques and flipping (selling) them?
If you are planning on keeping them for yourself as a decoration then it doesn't really matter what their value is. Their value is however much you are willing to pay for an old decorative item. Some people may overpay a huge amount for an item because they absolutely love it. Which is fine. To them, that item is something they have been looking for forever. To me, an item can be worth that $500 price tag. But to somebody else it's worth it's appraised value of $300.
However, if you plan on flipping antiques, there's so much to learn it can be mind boggling at times. Spotting fakes and reproductions can be very tricky and will take years to master.
So, don't be too terribly disappointed if an item isn't worth what you thought it was. To you, it was worth the 17 bucks, and I'd say you got a great deal.

Chinese Antique Furniture

• View Profile
    • Chinese Antique Furniture Shop
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 07:36:02 am »
Hosman, there is so much wisdom in your post!! 

Well said.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 09:04:54 am »
Your Royal Crown Vanity Set/Dresser Set is missing the lid to the powder/trinket container....but is still a beautiful set.  Are the perfume bottles and set free of chips/cracks/crazing?  Value $45 to 75 if in pristine condition and with all pieces.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 09:11:09 am »
I agree with CAF, hosman's wisdom rocks.  A now deceased collector I knew reasoned his purchases this way...I can spend $50 on something old and enjoy it for awhile and when I sell it, it may be worth more or less than $50, but when I buy something new at the store for $50 and sell it at a rummage sale, I would get $1 or less for it.  Needless to say, he put most of his money into old things that gave him enjoyment and did not worry about the buy price.