Author Topic: 2 Old Baptismal Certificates  (Read 1515 times)

krickard

• View Profile
2 Old Baptismal Certificates
« on: May 11, 2010, 09:55:14 am »
These are Certificates from 1898, they are framed and in German. Would these have any value. Who would collect this stuff? Thanks so much!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: 2 Old Baptismal Certificates
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 10:39:57 am »
These have value from a genealogical standpoint. If they were mine, I would take digital photos, upload them to Ancestry.com or any other online genealogical database and input the information about these people. This could mean a great deal to the descendents of these people.

Monitarily, I would be surprised if they had a whole lot of value, but I'd wait to hear from others here who have experience with paper ephemera. Generally, I think that people don't tend to collect things with the names of "strangers" on them, unless they can relate them in some way to themselves. For example, would you give your wife Anna a necklace marked "Julia" or hang up a baptismal certificate in your living room if it belonged to a person you didn't know? Probably not. There are exceptions though. For example, one of my favorite pieces of jewelry is a love token bracelet with the initials of people on them. I have no idea who they were, but I love it anyway.

Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 11:15:22 pm »
Can you post pics that we can read better?  I think they are fascinating.

I do believe there are people out there who love to buy this type of item...even if not related....because it is a piece of history. Believe they are called "antiquers"!  Think we have a few of those here.

I like the idea of ancestry.com....

Do you have the certificates translated? 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 11:18:50 pm »
Yes, stuff like this is huge in genealogical circles.

Considering I have spent the last 4 hours scanning family pictures from the 20's and 30's, I feel i am qualified to say that.
 ;)
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events