Author Topic: San Francisco Cobblestone Walkway Project Update  (Read 6446 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
San Francisco Cobblestone Walkway Project Update
« on: May 12, 2010, 11:55:29 am »
After being put on hold for months during my recovery, we're finally moving forward again with our walkway project, utilizing old historic cobblestones from San Francisco Streets.

If you missed the earlier posts, these cobbles came over as ballast on the ships that arrived during the Gold Rush of 1849. They were then put to use as cobblestones in the streets where they remained until they were removed as streets were paved. Some of these never made it to the streets, but were recently dredged up from the bottom of the bay. Many ships were abandoned in the bay as the crews took off for the gold fields. These ships were burned to the waterline and scuttled, so the ballast sank to the bottom of the bay. You can see barnacles on these stones.

We dug the trench deeper, lined the bed of the walkway with weed prohibiting cloth, added a layer of sand (19 bags!) to seat the cobbles, then topped it off with gravel.

It's not done yet, we still have to finish off the edges and a few other things, but this was a big step forward. At least they are in the ground instead of sitting in the yard! Thought you guys would like to see how it is coming along. More soon!

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 12:08:23 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: San Francisco Cobblestone Walkway Project Update
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 12:22:18 pm »
Looking good , Talesof .

Most of all , though , I'm glad to see/hear that you're feeling up to gettin' down in the ground with this project !

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 12:41:09 pm »
Thanks RJ2! I've been feeling great actually, and I have gotten a lot stronger in the last couple of weeks. My radiology oncologist (Radiation doctor) was sure surprised to hear that I'd been lugging bags of sand around! I think I'm just all jacked up because I'm done with chemo!

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 05:26:26 pm »
Glad to hear you are doing well, Tales.  I know walkways like that are not easy to do even in the best of health.  It looks like the resident felines would like to get out and try the walk out!  Nice looking project!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 06:01:49 pm »
Tales that is so encouraging to hear!  Even though it's hard work, being able to accomplish a not so simple feat must
actually bouy you up. It's also great to see history put to use as it should be.

Here's a shot of Granville St., Halifax (hometown  ;)) where what was able to be salvaged from under the old pavement
have now been carefully saved from further deterioration by closing the entire street to vehicle traffic.  Where they were
unable to save the old stones, new ones were put in place and make a nice blend of current and historical.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 06:16:13 pm »
Meant to add that I love the way the stones appear to 'lead' you towards the door. Very welcoming! 

And as wayward pointed out your furry family, I have to admit my eyes went right over their heads (& tails)
to the cage behind them. Another parrot owner?  ;)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 06:47:15 pm »
Neat that your cobblestones were preserved Sapphire! What a great way to preserve history! It is fun to think about all the carriages and people who have passed over these kind of old cobblestones since they were quarried.

The white and orange cat is Jack, the dark one next to him is actually my purse, LOL!

Yes, we have two parrots, Spanky and my bad boy Cloudy. (He's an aggressive alpha male who thinks it is his duty to kill off everything but the two of us!)

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 07:07:24 pm »
Omg!  Both sulphurs??  Beautiful!! ;)  I've only just moved beyond the budgie/lovebird level to a Pearly conure.  And
what is it about males?? Quinn's two sisters are apparently sweethearts, but he has that darn Jekyll/Hyde personality
.......and Hyde usually wins out!  My dream bird has always been a Blue and Gold......likely will stay my 'dream' bird.

Here's a shot of the same buildings .....1871, cobblestones already buried beneath gravel and trolley lines.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 09:40:01 pm »
Great job on the walkway Talesof!  Glad to hear you are feeling well.

Like the birds!  I used to have two when I was young/single.  Donated them to a local school when I couldn't be home enough to give them the company/care they needed.  Those bird went everywhere.  Families had to fill out applications to keep them for the summer with a responsibility contract.  They would then have a drawing of the families that qualified.  The families that won took them on vacations with them.  Over the years those birds have gone all over the US, Mexico, Canada, Hawaii, Virgin Isles, etc.  Who would have ever known!?!?!?!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 09:54:13 pm »
I love old comparison photos like that Sapphire! Way cool to see the changes!

Both birds are cockatoos, but only Cloudy is sulpher crested. He's actually a Triton cockatoo, the ones with the blue eye rings. Spanky is a rose-breasted cockatoo. He's smaller, a little bigger than a pigeon.

KC that is great that your birds had such a neat opportunity with the school! Cloudy is definitely a one-person bird. He can actually be quite dangerous with other people and I have to be really careful of him. They'd have a class full of fingerless kids if I tried that!!

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 10:53:51 pm »
Very nice work TOT7S.

I just knew you wouldn't be out for long.You can't keep a good person down.

Your historic and recycled walkway is just right for the yards tranquil and peaceful environment.It goes real well with the huge trees and beautiful ivy.Idyllic.
What a great place to chill out and feel gratification for the many projects you've undertaken giving items a new life.
Must be rewarding.Keep up the great work.

Sapphire- thanks for the laugh about your bird's Jekyll/Hyde personality.You had me rolling. ;D
Man do I love the 1932 Fredrick March film version, especially when he's transforming to the dark side under the tree and  a black cat above is simultaneously about to pounce on a innocent songbird.Movie making at it's finest IMO.

KC-Those were some very lucky birds.

Really enjoyed reading this thread.Thanks

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 08:35:09 am »
it is very good work. she has proven to us' she has the skill & commitment to continue  on too bigger thing's. I'am sure we can all find her some projects to keep her busy ;D ;D ;D

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 08:59:43 am »
Your right D&b.  Don't you think a wishing well made out of those stones with reclaimed shingles would look perfect
nestled in the greenery?  ;)

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 09:12:19 am »
I agree ! wishing well's were a big fad. about 20 year's ago in the mid atlantic states. stone wood etc.

waywardangler

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 10:45:40 am »
It looks like a downspout to the left of the door...maybe a nice rainbarrel sitting on a short pedestal of cobblestone bricks would be green and unique?