Author Topic: San Francisco Cobblestone Walkway Project Update  (Read 6445 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: San Francisco Cobblestone Walkway Project Update
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 03:31:02 pm »
Actually I'm finding that excercise is helping to ease away a lot of the lingering chemo pain, which is now just muscular. I get achy if I sit, I feel great if I keep moving, so these kinds of projects are good. I actually do have a wishing well already, out in the back yard. The object on the left of the photo is actually the edge of a large window frame. I do need to work on the left side of the path, which is a bare dirt area now.

Then again, do you guys see that redwood tree that is getting ready to push my house out of it's way? Maybe you would all like to grab your chain saws and c'mon over for a barbecue and tree chopping!

Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 04:09:52 pm »
It's wonderful that you are saving these little pieces of history tales!
But most importantly, I'm glad you're feeling much better. I hope your lingering pains disappear and you can keep up the great projects!

I didn't know you had birds! Our little Rio is a big enough handful, and the 40-something finches take up a ton of time. But they are great, aren't they? We're going to buy a big shed to turn into a bird room, too many birds in the house. We had a cockatoo, too but she belongs to my cousin now.

waywardangler

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 04:26:12 pm »
A BBQ sounds great and I do have a chainsaw but I am thousands of miles away so I am opting out.  Those two trees are so-o-o-o close it looks to be for professionals instead of a bunch of backyard chainsawers.  Maybe the guys from Ax Men need some side work. 

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 05:16:47 pm »
LOL, Yeah, it's definitely a job for a pro. It's actually touching the house! It was a couple of inches away when I bought the house eleven years ago and they told me I had about ten years before it would have to come out. Fortunately it is between the piers of the house, but now it is touching the roof and as much as I hate to do it, it has to go. We waited as long as possible so that we could recoup the cost of the tree removal in the wood. We appear to have a lot of underground burl under the ivy there too, so we'll have to see how we fare.

Love the bird pix!

waywardangler

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 05:29:46 pm »
Oh man, burl is GOOD!  Some woodturner or craftsman is going to love that!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 06:15:36 pm »
Yes, the burl is worth more than the tree's wood most of the time. There is actually a full "fairy ring"  of burl wood under that ivy, where a large tree burned in a fire about a century or so ago. The burl keeps sprouting up. So I am going to have them look at the possibility of removing some of the burl. We'll have to see what can be done without hurting the house or the remaining trees in the fairy ring, but there looks to be a good amount of burl growing right along side that path under the ivy that can go without threatening either the house or the other trees. There are pros who come out and assess the situation and make an estimate of what they expect to find under there. Should be interesting to watch!

Chinese Antique Furniture

• View Profile
    • Chinese Antique Furniture Shop
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2010, 07:22:25 am »
Tales, Congratulations on feeling better, on your good humor, on your love of life, and that stone walkway is AMAZING!!!

Keep it up, please.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 06:24:33 pm »
Here's the latest update on the front walkway project. Still has quite a ways to go but you can see how it is shaping up.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2010, 11:47:04 pm »
Nice really Nice  ;)  Have I mentioned you really Rock  ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010, 01:49:12 pm »
Wow....the place looks great!  Thanks for keeping us up on your many projects.  Glad you are faring well after chemo!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 04:08:25 pm »
Very Nice...  And quite a workout moving and setting all those rocks.  Great job!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 01:45:25 pm »
We finally had the tree by the door removed. This is how it was up until yesterday:

These were taken yesterday. We had to pull out the arbor, garden bench etc, but they got the job done without harming the house! Whew!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 02:55:16 pm »
That looks great!!  I see you are having the same, lovely, overcast (and rainy) spring we are here in the PNW.. >:(

I have to ask - What came first the house or the trees?  I cant believe they were sooooooooo close!!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey