Author Topic: Dent Pocket Watch  (Read 2833 times)

kbendi

• View Profile
Dent Pocket Watch
« on: May 15, 2010, 01:58:42 am »
I inherited my great grandfathers watch and was wondering if anyone could give me some information about the watch.  The Movement say "Dent London" and nothing else.  The case and movement both have the serial number 223.  The watch case has WP on it and a crown with 18 under the crown.  Any information you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks

waywardangler

Re: Dent Pocket Watch
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 08:15:12 am »
Welcome kbendi!  I do not see a serial number on the movement, just "Dent, London".  The number on the case usually has nothing to do with the watch.  It is a number from the case maker.  In most instances, movements from one maker were put into cases from a different maker, either originally or at a later date.  Go to this site and read all about Dent...http://www.dentlondon.com/about/history.php

Values on antique pocket watches are based on quality of the movement, how complex it was, whether it runs or not, condition, original face, etc.  Cases are valued by gold content, age, decoration, condition, etc.

Being that yours is from your great grandfather, it would also have an immense sentimental value that cannot be put into $$$.  Treasure it.

To see Dent watches from sellers, just put "Dent London pocket watch" into a search engine and look at what comes up.

kbendi

• View Profile
Re: Dent Pocket Watch
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 11:29:45 am »
Thanks Waywardangler I appreciate the information.  The serial number is on the movement but underneath the dial I forgot to mention that.  I am going to look at the Dent site now.

Thanks again