Author Topic: Old Cuckoo Clock  (Read 1498 times)

Quas

• View Profile
Old Cuckoo Clock
« on: May 15, 2010, 03:34:22 pm »
came across this gem today and was wondering if anybody had some more information, value, etc since i'm having a hard time finding anything really

here's the clock:

and here's a little label that's on the side of it (which i couldn't really translate either):

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Old Cuckoo Clock
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 05:57:09 pm »
Yours appears , to me  , to be one of fairly recent manufacture (i.e. 'vintage') .

I believe that the 'Thorens movement' refs to the music box inside your clock , not the clockworks itself .... it should 'play the tune' ("I'm always Chasing Rainbows") at every hour mark .

You do not mention if your item is complete , or if it indeed 'runs' & keeps time ... these considerations will influence its' value .
Knowing how it 'strikes' - as in at what time intervals - and length of time it takes for the clock run-out one 'winding' ( 1 full pull of the weights ) matters too .

Stating the size of the clockface will help , as to knowing the general size of your item .

Cool little clock , Quas .
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 06:01:40 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Quas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 03:19:54 pm »
the width is around 12 inches, the height is around 16 inches, the clock face is around 3 1/2 inches in width

as far as i know, it's all running fine, but i'll double check on that too

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 04:19:44 pm »
I know that there is a year that they changed from bone hands, to plastic hands (by law, if Im not mistaken)... If anyone knows what that year is, I'd like to know!

regards, Ed
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 08:15:21 pm »
I know that this occurred in early 1900's about the hands.  However, there are some restorers that actually make bone hands for replacement these days!  They have used celluloid then plastic.  Originally hands were wooden!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!