Author Topic: Confused to when reading research on this item....  (Read 1380 times)

ssheri72

• View Profile
Confused to when reading research on this item....
« on: May 16, 2010, 09:23:28 am »
I found this picture in a free box at a backyard sale. I have researched it and can't find any info on this one alone, but some articles say there antique and some don't. Anyone help me with this one? Thank You!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Confused to when reading research on this item....
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 09:40:14 am »
Illinois Moulding Co is the company that created the frame for your print. But that can give you some clues as to the date when it was produced. So farm I found that the Illinois Moulding Co was founded in 1896:

http://books.google.com/books?id=xlQDAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA485&lpg=PA485&dq=%22illinois+moulding%22++history&source=bl&ots=v-fSiRPBbN&sig=Gz3DfHwN6de9VrFDx7dJnDdhzeg&hl=en&ei=hBDwS9bNDYvYtgOojuzADw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CE0Q6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=%22illinois%20moulding%22%20%20history&f=false

I'll keep looking to see if there is anything on when they went out of business.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 09:55:44 am »
Well, so far I haven't been able to locate a date when the company went out of business, but they seem to have been around at least until the 1930's. Maybe someone else here can locate more info.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

ssheri72

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 10:00:53 am »
Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 08:31:35 pm »
Windsor Art Products and Illinois Molding Company are "sister" companies - Chicago, 8 Illinois.

Windsor Art Products was the "decorative arts" publishing company which was active from the early 1900's through the 1970's - while Illinois Molding Co was the part of the company that made the frames.   Decorative art companies purchased rights and/or commissioned artists to produce original art,  which they then reproduced on canvas/board that was pressed and/or embossed simulating brush strokes (as if an artist painted had actually painted it). This was done in order to mass produce decorative art - not with intent to defraud people. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 09:02:41 pm »
Just looking at it, it looks like the type of picture my parents would have had hanging in their house.  Judging by that, it would date from 1950-1970.  The frame with linen border was quite common for decorative pictures.  The Chicago 8 postal code would predate the Zip Code so that would put it before 1960.  My guess is 1950-1960.  It was in a free box because they could not sell it at a previous sale.  A frame like that goes for 50c or $1 at a sale around here (if it sells at all).  The print would be lucky to find a home for.  Everything free is not worth $ but at least you did not lose money.  IMO.