Author Topic: Stimpson Scale  (Read 7057 times)

pitchblackchevy

• View Profile
Stimpson Scale
« on: May 16, 2010, 06:36:36 pm »
Hi, i recently acquired a stimpson scale and dont know a whole lot about it. any information would be helpful,how to read it and worth

waywardangler

Re: Stimpson Scale
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 08:26:56 pm »
From...
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Collectibles-General-Antiques-682/2009/8/stimpson-computing-scale-2.htm

"Most of the scales like yours sold by Stimpson, that we have seen were originally painted gray probably due to the fact that they were manufactured during WW1.  The Patent number that applies closest to your scale is number 1114307 issued to Walter F. Stimpson
on Oct. 20, 1914. It may be viewed here: http://www.google.com/patents?id=0NRmAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&dq=1114307&source=gbs_selec... .

Most antique scale collectors have little interest in large fan top computing scales like yours as they are so large and heavy. Their value lies mainly in the restoration or interior decoration sector of the hobby. Retail value in the condition as shown might be $75-$200."

The scale should weigh up to 100lbs with additional weights.  The chart allows the grocer or seller to weigh and price items at the same time.  I think the different rows might correspond to prices and the very top row corresponds to the weight.  It would take some time and trial and error to figure this out.  I did not find a manual or instructions for a Stimpson in my cursory search of the web.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 05:17:22 am »
PBC, is your scales missing the "platform" on which you place whatever it is you wish to weigh?

Chinese Antique Furniture

• View Profile
    • Chinese Antique Furniture Shop
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 07:35:54 am »
Hate to drop it on my toe!!!!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 03:31:47 pm »
Welcome to the forum , pitchblackchevy .

Back in the old-timey-time , we used to call these type of scales 'trade scales' ; they were intended for more or less 'stationary' business .
By stationary I mean that they'd sit in one place (not for 'farmers' market/transient' type of business) .

The face of the pre-digital age scale increments would indicate the 'price-per-pound' (on the left side , as well as on the scale arm) , so that the operator could quickly price a quantity without doing any math .
The customer would only see the weight , on the opposite side of the scale .

The works of such scales were very durable , but could be damaged when transported - some of these types of balance scales had internal 'locking' levers (or shipping 'blocks') to prevent damage in transport .

Just like pendulum clocks , it's important to transport such items properly , so as to prevent bearing damage/disalignment/calibration .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "