Author Topic: G. Stomps chair  (Read 1266 times)

Jimmy2XL

• View Profile
G. Stomps chair
« on: May 19, 2010, 03:26:31 pm »
My wife inherited a chair several years ago that was manufactured by G. Stomps and Co. The chair states R. P. Burkhardt’s  patent, however, the manufacturer is G. Stomps and Co.
Can I assume that this chair pre-dates the 1890 merge and name change to Stomps and Burkhardt?
The chair is still very tight and in great condition, although I can only assume that the seat has been reupholstered. What would this chair be worth today?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: G. Stomps chair
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 05:10:51 pm »
Beautiful rocker you have there! I love rockers, but sadly, not many people seem to anymore. They don't seem to sell particularly well and you can find loads of beautiful antique rockers on Craigslist to choose from at bargain prices, ranging from about $50-$250. Although I have seen rockers listed for more, they do not seem to sell. Anthing listed over $200 doesn't appear to sell, unless it has some outstanding unique quality such as carved faces or having belonged to someone famous with documentation to back it up. even ones in beautifully preserved condition.

I did find another forum discussing a Stomps rocker and they disagreed on the value:
http://www.myantiquefurniturecollection.com/i-have-a-walnut-curvedseat-chair-marked-w/paper-label-stomp-...-54114.html

I am not an expert though, so watch for other responses on this.  ;)
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: G. Stomps chair
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 07:52:29 pm »
For the history on G Stomps and R Burkhardt this link is a good one:
http://johnmarkpower.blogspot.com/2010/01/g-stomps-co-chairs-1870-1890.html
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!