Author Topic: If it was all yours how would you sell it.  (Read 4600 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: If it was all yours how would you sell it.
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 10:20:35 am »
@KC- I've had 16 previous freelance works published, but it was all short stuff such as magazine articles, newspaper articles, radio pieces etc. I also work full time as a technical writer and have been doing that for about twenty years in various forms. But this is my first attempt at a novel and my first attempt at fiction. It's done and I'm doing the final edits now. Due to my health situation and my husbands, I wanted to write without being under pressure. So I completed it first before pitching it to an agent. (Sometimes you sell the idea first, then write). But it was a labor of love that I had to write regardless, so I was OK with that approach. So far, my test readers/error catchers are raving about it, reading it more than once, getting up in the middle of the night to read more and were reduced to tears in spots. So I'm pretty hopeful that I can pull it off with traditional publishing. If not, I'll self-publish. I'll let you guys know.

OK back to the original subject, sorry about the hijack!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 10:30:58 am »
A few more Heisey collector's clubs
http://www.mccullohantiques.com/Heisey.htm

Good to hear Talesof. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Chinese Antique Furniture

• View Profile
    • Chinese Antique Furniture Shop
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 06:17:44 am »
You've gotten a lot of good thoughts here. 

One question:  Did the auctioneer who offered you $8 do so an an estimate of what it would bring at auction, or was her offering to purchase it all for $8k?  If the offer was an outright purchase offer, he only made it because he thinks he can make money on it.  Why don't you ask him for an auction estimate, and see if it is higher than $8K, then at least you know how much he hoped to make on the deal. 

If you want to "get rid of it all in one fell swoop" as they say, auctions are the way to go.  You just need an honest auctioneer.  Try checking around for others, but please be sure to check them out through BBB or Yelp before giving them your stuff.  Otherwise, and additionally, the others here on the site have provided you with some great suggestions.

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 08:42:20 am »
Without actually seeing and evaluating what you have it's hard to say if $8k was a good deal or not. But the problem with auctioning things is they have to be transported to the auction site and that costs money. If it's just a few things it's not a big deal but with all the small/fragile items you have it could be very costly. We had a similar situation awhile back and had an auction house/liquidator give us an estimate. His deal was to pack everything up, auction it and give us 50%. But he was going to have to pay people to do all this packing and moving. Thats where the money goes. We didn't do that. We had an on site estate sale that grossed about $12k and we netted about $9k. You just gotta do some research.

gingertomantiques

• View Profile
    • GINGER TOM ANTIQUES
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 11:35:28 am »
The best place is auction with reserves and they will find there level. If they dont sell you get them back no charge. Any decent auction will value your items and place them in the relevent categarised sale
Ebay charges are high, paypal charges are high, & then you have to post items. Furniture is not easy to post, buyer collect limits market, at auction this is buyers problem

Hope this information was helpfull, I would appreciate it if you would look at my website
http://gingertomantiques.yolasite.com/

Miss Platnum

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 06:53:54 am »
Wow, you sure have a lot of antique things... How big your garage is? ;) I would suggest to organize an auction, because there you could sell at a good price for someone who knows the values of antique things. or you could organize Good luck with it!

http://www.antiquescanr.com