Author Topic: Eastman Kodak camera, with interesting history...I need to know it's worth!  (Read 8232 times)

Julekpl

• View Profile
I recently purchased an Eastman kodak camera, Patent march 4th 1902-may 6th 1913, and it has probably had a few adventures....Here's what came with it...

I believe it belonged to a Harvey E. Hall USMC 5th Brigade, since the person's name is etched in the back...This person was supposedly in the YMCA during ww1-ww2 era, and was stationed in Brest, France. He etched the names of the people and places he met and visited....

But it does have a umber of dents and scratches...And I'm not sure if it still works....

Here is a booklet of postcards I believe were issued to the men stationed in France to send postcards back to the family, most of them are there, and in great condition.

Here are just a few postcards in the booklet (out of 19 total, sorry for the long post)

This is the YMCA booklet issued, which informs the stationed men there what places to visit, and such.

Places of interest in France...

Sorry again for the extended post...Anyways, does anyone have an idea on the price range of this set? I would appreciate it...I just started collecting antiques recently, so I hope I'm doing good finding objects of certain historical and monetary value...Thanks anyway!

fancypants

• View Profile
Nice little combo .

Money-wise , kinda hard to say .

The fact that the camera has been marked (prob. by the indicated owner) with locations in Brittany prob. does mean that it & he were there ( post-liberation of France ) , & makes it much more interesting than an old , burnt-out camera .

These cameras were pretty low cost units (but they did have fairly good optics for their price) .

My opinion is that the most value is related to who , where , when & why these items were together .... (keeping in mind that I'm not expert in this type of memorabilia) !

I'm guessing that not only the camera & brochure made it back from Europe , but the owner did too (good for him) !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Julekpl

• View Profile
Well thanks, any info helps. Unfortunately I couldn't locate the owner nor any relatives, but yeah, the camera itself is known to sell for a small monetary amount on ebay...but I'm probably keeping this for a while. 

Julekpl

• View Profile
Anyone else know anything more about this set?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
I suspect the camera would have value to military collectors, but I'm not qualified to make that kind of an assessment. It's tough with a unique altered piece like yours.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Julekpl

• View Profile
Yeah, I'll have a go at finding a price in the military section...but I'm probably going to keep onto this for a few more years, or until I'm low on cash.

waywardangler

I do not know much about military history so I am curious as to what the YMCA had to do with WWI (or WWII) other than a place to stay?  I would not expect much value to be attributed to this camera unless the owner has some sort of fame attached to his travels and you can attach some provenance to it.

A nice group of WWI memorabilia but of what significance or monetary value it has is questionable.  If you find out something of significance attached to this camera/group (like some historic photo) I would strike while the iron is hot and sell it.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Nice group of memorabilia!!!!! There is value in it....just need to find out more about the owner!!!!

Reference the YMCA and WWI....here is a good site..
http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/ymca.htm
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

Very informative site, KC!  I did not know the YMCA predates the civil war and helped during the civil war let alone more present wars.  I learned someting new today.

Given that history Julekpl, I would look into the YMCA aspect in depth.  Harvey E. Hall may be in their historical records.  Happy searching!

Julekpl

• View Profile
Hey thanks so much to everyone for the help, I'll write to them, maybe he might be on record, thanks again!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
I found USMC muster rolls for Harvey E Hall Company C Machine Gun Battalion 5th Brigade, AEF France, Barracks @ Paris Island SC, also with Company D Machine Gun Battalion, also with the 5th Brigade, through Ancestry.com. Would you like copies?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Julekpl

• View Profile
Wow that's surprising...Elmer E . Hall might have been Harvey E. Hall's son or grandson, and both could have served in the USMC...I'll look this guy up, thanks sapphire!

Julekpl

• View Profile
Yes please! Thank you talesofthesevenseas!