Author Topic: I know this isn't a question about antiques....but I need help with this!  (Read 2452 times)

Julekpl

• View Profile
Hi, I am going on vacation to Poland, and my friend found an awesome ww2 site to dig for cool artifacts, and its on his property, and so I was hoping to buy a metal detector...but I don't know enough to decide which ones are good...Any ideas on a cheap, but good metal detector? I would appreciate it!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Where are you located?  We have people from all over the world on this site!

Here is some good advice....
http://www.thomasathomas.com/Making_Right_Choices_-_Choosing_The_Right_Metal_Detector_For_You.htm
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Julekpl

• View Profile
I live in Florida, but I wasn't going to use it at the beaches, I was going to send it overseas to Poland, usually the ground there is rocky and dry....so I'd most likely need a good quality one...which means expensive. 

D&b antiques

• View Profile
My first concern would be unexploded ordnance. secondly just about any detector will work in the all metal mode. since you' would not be interested in discriminating any metal.

N

fancypants

• View Profile
I'm with D&b on the ordnance issue , esp. old (& unstable) stuff .... this could include unexploded &/or unfired artillery rounds , plain 'ole ammo (tracers too) , fuses , grenades & all the 'non-sweetness and light' items used on battlefields .

I have been in minefields & don't like them .

Believe it or not , I have found many ferrous metal objects via using a good quaility liquid-filled compass , slowly 'scanning' @ near ground level .

Found a few cool items (Italian 1909 pistol , for one) & lots of crap (nails,screws,hunks o' junk , etc.) .
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 04:26:00 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Julekpl

• View Profile
Well in the area of excavation, no mines, of what I heard of, have been placed in the area...The area is deep in woods, and is full of Russian holes dug for troops to lay in and to place artillery. This was after the battle of Stalingrad....when Russia was pushing the Germans back to Germany...But I was looking for any detector that detects mainly iron, steel, and copper, no gold needed. And all of this might be at at least 2 feet or more of dirt.

up2no6ood

• View Profile
Buy the lightest most compact model you can get. Any $100 dollar metal detector will be able to find those type of items.

Julekpl

• View Profile
Ok I'll look some up, thanks guys!

up2no6ood

• View Profile