Author Topic: Antique Carriage Clock - no name  (Read 4681 times)

jbartlet

• View Profile
Antique Carriage Clock - no name
« on: May 23, 2010, 06:27:45 pm »
Where is the clock from?  What maker?  how old?  Any ideas welcome! 

There are no marks on it at all except for tiny hand-etched initials and dates (i think) along the inside of the door. 

waywardangler

Re: Antique Carriage Clock - no name
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 06:46:11 pm »
Neat clock!  Pic of the movement (last pic) is fuzzy so could you post a clearer one?  Does it run and keep good time?  I am very surprised there are no maker marks on the internal parts somewhere.

jbartlet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 07:06:17 pm »
it just came into my possession and I was told it doesn't work properly.

I can't get a better pic of the top at the moment.  but there's an S and and F on the top which are the only markings. 

without taking it to pieces there are definitely no markings on the visible inner workings. 

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 08:10:44 pm »
This is kind of odd. I can't remember seeing a clock like this with no name on the dial. I'm thinking some kind of reproduction/copy.

jbartlet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 08:22:35 pm »
it's definitely old (looking) and very solid heavy brass that's well tarnished. 

I was hoping the shape of the body and look of the face would tip someone off.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 08:34:14 pm »
I'd give the guess that the 'S' & the 'F' are for adjusting the clock (slow & fast) , so I'd look for an english language maker (but not always) .

I'm also guessing that when the works is removed from the case , more will be revealed .

Can you tell if the face is porcelain , or baked enamel ?

Below is an image of one like yours , sold in the U.K. by Tennants (auctioneers , Yorkshire) on June 6, 2009 for $160 pounds .
It had the key & leather carry-case with it .
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 08:53:04 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

jbartlet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 09:12:22 pm »
wow! that is exceptionally close.  but the face looks like numerals instead of numbers. 

any idea of the age or maker? 

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 11:27:45 pm »
I can't really tell if the case is brass or heavily oxidized German silver.  Three of the pics show a reddish tone to the case which would indicate oxidized GS while two photos look like dull brass.  Fancypants I see the file title on your pic is carclock.  Is that what this is, an antique car clock (English perhaps)?

jbartlet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 05:41:28 am »
how do you tell between brass and german silver?   but if it was silver wouldn't it have some hallmark somewhere?  I really did look thoroughly (and so did a few other people)

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 08:48:44 am »
German silver has no silver in it.  It is an alloy of copper, nickel, and zinc.  There would never be a hallmark on German silver which is also known as nickel silver.  If you polish an inconspicuous spot, like a foot bottom, and the spot comes out silver, then it is german silver.  If it turns out to be brass, it will be yellow like the internal plates in your pics.

jbartlet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 09:44:14 am »
does polishing negatively affect value?

would standard silver polishing methods be good for it?

jbartlet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 10:01:45 am »
I just found this:  http://www.goantiques.com/detail,carriage-clock-serpentine,67949.html

Still no mention of maker or age other than "French"

perhaps they had a new face put on a standard clock with numbers instead of numerals? 

waywardangler

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 12:04:45 pm »
Nice comparison site find jbarlet!  It looks like this is worth a bit so I would take it to a local clock man for evaluation.  Clocks that run are worth more than ones that don't.  I would not polish this yet.  I only suggested polishing a bottom of a foot as that would not be apparent to anyone.  It would give you an indication of what the metal is but after looking at that one on goantiques, it must be a brass case.  I would imagine the number face to be a manufacturing option of the time rather than a new face put on.  Those numbers look like a period style.  Was a carriage clock used in horse drawn carriages?  I guess I do not understand the use of this particular style of clock.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 03:11:45 pm »
jbartlet , on the site in your posted link they estimate the date of the item as 1880 's .

Seems like a close , ball-parkish guess to me .

My guess .......  is from 1890's to 1920's , on yours .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

horacio48

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 07:19:28 pm »
I have a mantle carriage clock that I inherited & would like help to identify it, on the dial it says ELECTRIC? It's very old & i cannot find info on it. I also would like any information you could give me on dating it & value.