Author Topic: Hair Care - Preservation of Antique Locks of Hair  (Read 3846 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Hair Care - Preservation of Antique Locks of Hair
« on: May 24, 2010, 12:49:30 pm »
I was recently given some family albums with genealogical info and photographs in them. In the albums are two locks of hair. One was from my own grandfather when he was a little, so it would date to about 1911 or 1912, and one very early lock of hair from a little girl named Charlotte who died in the 19th century. (I will have to double check on the date of her passing). Both of these are still in the folded papers that they were placed in when they were collected.

They seem to be doing just fine after 100 years+, but I'm wondering if the acidty of the papers will eventually damage the locks of hair? To preserve them, should I get some empty antique lockets that are of good quality and relocate them into those and tag them with the genealogical info that goes with them? I have another early woven hair bracelet with a locket of braided hair that also is doing just fine, so I'm wondering if this might be a good choice for ensuring the preservation of these two locks of hair? 
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Julekpl

• View Profile
Re: Hair Care - Preservation of Antique Locks of Hair
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 03:44:51 pm »
You might have to relocate the hairs to separate ziplock bags with less chemicals used to make them, if hairs age like some written documents. Certain chemicals in certain containers age items like this more quickly. I had the same problem with antique written documents...They look fine for a while until they are placed in a plastic paper holder...then the ink letters peel off, and it's basically a train wreck. I recommend going to office depot or any paper supply store, and ask for antique-safe plastic, or paper containers.

But yeah, what an interesting find...and yes, paper, depending on what was used to make it can be possibly harmful.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 04:00:46 pm »
Hmm... I don't ever put paper items in plastic. They need to be able to breathe or they get moldy. There are acid-free papers that could work, although if I'm going to relocate them to a safer environment, a locket seems like it would be offer more protection and be a nicer tribute. Maybe a locket lined with a small piece of cotton cloth backing would be ideal?

Julekpl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 04:04:11 pm »
Yeah cloth should work good, but there are certain plastic "folders" with tiny air holes, which work ideally, but cloth should work just as well.

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 06:02:53 pm »
Interesting Tales.  I have a 6" braided length of my Grandmother's hair from around 1910 that my mother kept for years and now I have it since my mother passed away. I am not sure what to do with it...keep it or ?  What is the basis for keeping it?  I am just curious as I find it a little odd myself.  My wife feels no attachment to it. My older sister did not want it and yet I feel a little strange to toss something out that someone treasured.  I am interested to know what the reasoning is to keep it.  Anyone that wants to can weigh in on this.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 07:13:05 pm by waywardangler »

Julekpl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 06:14:24 pm »
well I don't think hair sells well, depending on whose hair it is, say Merilyn Monroe. It only worth something if you treasured the person that owned that hair. 

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 08:13:19 pm »
If they are in good condition after 100+ years I think they are fine right where they are.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 10:47:07 pm »
     I think the fad of locket of someones hair was to be kept to remind you of someone living.  i.e. a soldier at war who would carry a locket of his wifes hair into battle, Then we have your babies first hair cut.  Not sure what one would do with a locket from say a grandmother or such. but in a 100 more years you might be able to make a clone, now that would be scary stuff. 

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 11:40:15 pm »
I've been told by some 'experts' through the years to keep such items in very much the same type environs as watercolor paintings .

With touching hair items , human & otherwise , via bare hands , the possibility of microbial 'infestation' is there .

Hair is and has been important to folks for quite awhile , for many reasons (... like , say .. Samson , or Rick James...) ...

Here's a couple of links , 1 about preservation , the other is a Sikh perspective .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/a3388052

http://www.sikh.net/SIKHISM/W/Hair1.htm

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 11:59:49 pm »
I know a lot of people find hair memorials creepy, but to me, the lock of hair from my grandfather who I dearly loved, is like having a part of him with me. The one from the little girl Charlotte, although she died long before I was born, I find fascinating. I can remember the first time my mother showed it to me and looking at the way it would still glisten in the sunlight, just as if she were still out playing in the sunshine. I saved a lock of my son's hair when he had his baby hair cut for the first time too. It is in his baby book.

I would keep that lock of hair and add it to your family genealogical info. Even if it is not of interest now it definitely could be to her descendants. It is a very personal way of "connecting" with ones ancestors.

waywardangler

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 08:34:16 am »
Thank you Tales for a wonderful and insightful reply!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 10:09:27 am »
Hair has been kept for as long as time.  Sometimes for useful items (pincushions, pillows, art, hair jewelry, love tokens, and mourning mementos, blankets/material).  More often for sentimental reasons like Talesof said.

It was used for art during the Victorian times and believe it or not....there are artisans that are making a come back using hair for art.  By-the-way....they are generally called Victorian Hair Wreaths and here is the google image showing examples of them
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS360&q=victorian+hair+wreaths&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=AfD7S8biI4L58Aay4p2ABg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=6&ved=0CEIQsAQwBQ

Jewlery demands a high price if pristine condition.  Most people braided or banded hair using whatever they could - but the wealthier had braiding tables which are still sold today!
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS360&q=victorian+hair+jewelry&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=TfP7S73bI8H78AaF5dSWBg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=6&ved=0CDoQsAQwBQ
http://www.victorianamagazine.com/jewelry/hairjewelry.htm

Also, during Victorian times hair was kept on the dresser in a decorative hair receiver (many sell for $$$$$$$).  Since hair was only washed once every 3 to 4 weeks it was scented with oils (for scent and shine).  The hair kept from hair brushes in the receiver was used to make a ratt (hair piece to puff up a woman's hair in the back), to stuff pillows and most desired to stuff pincushions - The scented oils on them made the house smell good on the pillows and cushions and was much more comfortable than feathers.  For pincushions, the oils kept the needles from rusting and made them slide easier into materials.

They even have a hair work society these days with a "Hairball" convention!!!! http://www.hairworksociety.org/
http://www.victorianhairartists.com/
Hair is even being used for oil spills since it soaks up oil (we use shampoo to get the oil out).  It is a wonderful mat/base for farming!  It is being used in solar panels as well!!!!!

You may want to donate the hair to one of these organizations that help recreate victorian pieces if you aren't going to keep it! Our family has donated to Locks of Love often (makes wigs for children with cancer) and have put out hair with material scraps for birds to make nests.

Our modern society has lost much of it's sentimentality for family hand-me-downs with all the modern, high tech, fast-paced and disposable society that we have created.  I laughed at some of these top 10 uses for hair...but will check the bottle of soy sauce in the future! http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/12/30/top-10-strange-uses-for-human-hair/
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:17:11 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 10:34:36 am »
Here's a photo of the woven hair bracelet I have. There is a hard to read monogram on back and I have no idea whose hair this was, only that it was passed down through my grandmother's family. It is probably an aunt or a friend with a different surname.

The flash is reflecting off the glass of the locket window in this picture, but there is a braided lock of hair inside and the whole bracelet itself is made of woven hair. The locket and clasps appear to be rose gold. I'll have to pull it out tonight and look for markings and will photograph the monogram.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 09:26:02 pm »
Very intresting stuff KC thanks, would of never have thought of the many uses of hair, before, and that is a wonderful looking piece tales.  This is making me appriciate hair more.