Author Topic: Medals  (Read 3650 times)

jbartlet

• View Profile
Medals
« on: May 26, 2010, 10:41:39 am »
I would like to know what you know about these medals:

Inscribed Henry Morris '79 - a military Doctor who lived 1855-1929.   It says "Thomas Lloyd" across the top.  I think it's a Lloyd's Medal but can't find anything like it anywhere or any record to find out what it's for or if it was handed to him directly or to a younger generation for something he did.

This we've figured is a Lesser George Sash Badge - http://www.medals.org.uk/united-kingdom/united-kingdom002.htm
But I don't know how significant these are or how common.  In reading a little it seems like only members of the Order of the Garter get them but can't imagine it coming down directly from royalty. 

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.  Thanks!

waywardangler

Re: Medals
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 11:16:52 am »
 "In reading a little it seems like only members of the Order of the Garter get them but can't imagine it coming down directly from royalty.  "

Hmmm, Order of the Garter?  What initiation goes with that Order and what do they do?

On a more serious note for us lesser informed people (like me), it would be nice to know where these medals originate as that would help a lot in research.  I am assuming England and not the US?

jbartlet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 11:27:54 am »
I really think they're American because everyone I know of in this family is old school American from Baltimore/Virginia area. 

Henry Morris is definitely American. 

But the Order of the Garter medal could have come from anywhere and by default I think England - but I would like to know if there's some kind of American branch of it that I haven't been able to find since I'm sure that the family is 100% American (at least since the mid 1700's). 

gingertomantiques

• View Profile
    • GINGER TOM ANTIQUES
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 07:08:38 pm »
heres info on lesser george prices
http://justmedals.com/PRODUCT/chivalry.html
if yours is old & attributed should be worth more

as for the other could it be masonic? or a guild medal

jbartlet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 07:46:15 pm »
The medal could be masonic, could be anything.  I just assume military since he was in the military.

As for the Lesser George, I was hoping for an identical image or some explanation of why one might be in the box of random medals. 

jbartlet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 08:42:09 am »
ok!  we found some record saying this medal is a Colonial Grant star.   but i still can't find anything online about what and why and when.

It says "Gov. Thomas Lloyd" on the front.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 09:24:56 am »
Came across this, don't know if it relates or is of any help.........seems too be too long ago to be connected to a medal still in existence, but so far the only Gov. Thomas Lloyd I have found.

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kenzie/GenLLOYD.htm

"Thomas Lloyd, Deputy Governor of Pennsylvania, 1684-88, and 1690-93, though a consistent member of the Society of Friends and a typical representative of that good old Quaker stock of solid respectability and sterling worth without the ostentation of pomp and display, whose home life lent such a peculiar charm of social life of the City of Brotherly Love, in Colonial days, was nevertheless of royal descent,and traced his ancestry on both maternal and paternal lines back to Edward I., of England, and on more remote paternal lines back through a long line of princes of ancient Britain."

"Thomas Lloyd was elected a member of the Governor's Council, qualified on 1 mo. 20, 1684, and was elected its president."

Could the G C on the medal signify Governor's Council??

Edited to add.....This same Thomas Lloyd was also a physician.

http://famousamericans.net/thomaslloyd/
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 09:59:57 am by sapphire »

jbartlet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 10:10:20 am »
very interesting!  definitely not a medal from the 1600's.  the ribbon and whole thing are in way too good condition.  and it's marked Henry Morris '79...

i just checked and there are tiiiiiiiiiiiiiny markings on the back that I think say "BB&B" and then some hand etched numbers. 

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 09:35:09 pm »
I just bought a gold medal owned by a member of the Order of the Garter (or so I thought) and then realized that the moto for the order also appears on the royal English coat of arms. In further research I discovered it was also used in Canada. Of course, the moto does stem from England, and was adopted briefly in the United States. I am in no regards an expert on medals but I would assume yours either come from Canada or England.

I might have missed it, but are these both brass? It is possible that the cloth parts were replaced (just a thought).

jbartlet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 08:11:11 am »
I'm pretty sure that BB&B stands for Bailey Banks and Biddel a medal manufacturer. 

I can't find any markings saying gold but they're not tarnished at all and haven't been cleaned (in the last 30 years) so I don't know what they are.  but most likely brass since not marked otherwise.

I just found some writing that the one is for Descendants of the Order of the Garter.   so they must have joined some society and got a souvenir for doing so.  http://www.brookfieldpublishing.com/KG/2.aspx  mystery solved on that one!

jbartlet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 11:11:10 am »
I got the answer from another forum.

It's a membership medal for the Hereditary Order of Descendants of Colonial Governors.

very random.  but interesting nonetheless.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 02:29:07 pm »
Bailey Banks & Biddel is a jewelry store now owned by Zales Corporation.

Nice going that you got an answer!  Interesting medal.  Bet there aren't too many of those around!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!