Author Topic: Is this a Fake???  (Read 5977 times)

krickard

• View Profile
Is this a Fake???
« on: May 26, 2010, 01:18:12 pm »
Hey everyone, I just posted this Roseville White Rose piece on Ebay and someone just sent me a message saying that this is a fake and it sounds like I could get into big trouble w/ Ebay. Can anyone confirm this? I really believed this was real Roseville! Thank you

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Is this a Fake???
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 01:43:04 pm »
I'am not so sure it's a fake. that trade mark match' s the era for 1939 thru 1953. we will get some other opinions. just hang in there.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 01:48:00 pm »
Krickard, check the Roseville mark on this thread.

http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=6656.0

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 02:28:02 pm »
Here's one of the links posted in that previous thread, I quoted one passage that stands out.  As well, if you scroll down towards the end of the page you will find the White Rose fakes that are known.

http://www.wwcomponents.net/roseville/roseville.html

"All pieces I have seen have "Roseville U.S.A." (usually very low relief on the USA) or "Roseville" on the bottom, even if they were not marked on original pieces. Initially, the Roseville fakes had a raised ("in relief") "Roseville USA" on the bottom. Apparently, U.S. Customs had a problem with that, so the ones being produced now just say "Roseville", with a space below that word where "USA" would have been. The Huxfords' book lists the various trademarks that Roseville used. According to that reference, "Roseville" (without "USA") was used only from 1932-1937 and only as an impressed mark, never in relief. If a piece has "Roseville" in relief without "USA", I'd say that's close to a dead giveaway that it's a fake, particularly if there's an empty space where "USA" should be. On the other hand, the use of "Roseville USA" does not guarantee that it's authentic."

I'll let others more knowledgeable add their wisdom.

krickard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 03:05:44 pm »
Check out the pic on this link, mine does look a bit different. But does that mean it's a fake? All handmade pottery would have light differences I would imagine. But I notice the inside of mine is the same color blue as the outside and the one on this link is beige and mine is a overall darker color. http://www.rubylane.com/shops/jpthings/item/JPx203514
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 03:07:25 pm by krickard »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 04:48:32 pm »
I have only seen the white rose items made in blue/azure - not in the delft blue color like this! 

Yours is marked Roseville...but I don't believe it is true Roseville.

I would take out the word genuine from your ad - unless there is an expert out there that can say this is truly an authentic "Roseville". 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 04:52:42 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 04:59:14 pm »
Krickard, try this site...http://www.wwcomponents.net/roseville/rosevilleMarks.html  

It has a number of real and fake marks pictured.  Going by sapphires comments, the roseville marks page, and looking at the pic below with your mark surrounded by known fake marks, I would bet it is a fake.  I would pull it off eBay.  Not what you wanted to hear

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 05:21:51 pm »
In my own (uneducated) personal opinion, this......

http://www.dzinearticles.com/articledetail.php?articleid=331
Production dates......

1940   -   White Rose

combined with.......

"Roseville" (without "USA") was used only from 1932-1937 and only as an impressed mark, never in relief"

would have to equal a copy.  (That's if I read all this right)  ;)

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 05:45:53 pm »
Here is a page showing authentic pieces of Roseville White Rose and examples of the mark.

http://www.ohioriverpottery.com/rose/rosepot05.html

gingertomantiques

• View Profile
    • GINGER TOM ANTIQUES
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 06:12:11 pm »
Amend the description on ebay, point out possibility its a copy & let the buyers make there own minds up. Alot of copies have value in there own right

krickard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 06:19:02 pm »
Ok that's a good idea, I'll let the buyers decide and tell them could possibly be a copy. Thanks for all your help! I would never want to post anything falsely! ;D

krickard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 08:31:28 pm »
Just to update everyone, I went back and revised my listing to say it might be a copy and they reported me anyway! So now I feel horrible, I took the listing off completely, but I wonder if Ebay will let me sell anymore? Yuck, I feel like a scammer. I really thought this was a nice piece I found in my parents' house.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 09:06:51 pm »
You just have to let them know that you are not an expert in the field. It does say Roseville on it so you put it was a genuine Roseville.  As soon as you were told you then researched and amended your item.  You have the post on this site to prove that. Can't ask for more than that.

Much better than most....they keep it on and don't care.  Proud of your for inquiring and trying to correct it!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 12:31:03 am »
From what I have read on other sites such as Auctionbytes, eBay doesn't care about their sellers.  They are the BIG GORILLA and act like it.  Good luck krickard!

gingertomantiques

• View Profile
    • GINGER TOM ANTIQUES
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 04:47:09 am »
dont care puts it mildly, there a law unto themselves.