Author Topic: Value Japanese dishes and walnut table  (Read 1520 times)

tpdaw

• View Profile
Value Japanese dishes and walnut table
« on: May 28, 2010, 01:23:16 am »
Hi again...
Recently I inherited several antique items, but as an inexperienced  antiques lover I have little idea about value. I recently posted these two items on a local website. Usually when there are quick responses and people are willing to pay the asking price it is time to think that I am asking far too little.

So please help me out: what are the approx. values of the Japanes dishes and the walnut sidetable?

http://picasaweb.google.nl/tpdawsen/OldJapanesePlates

« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 04:14:06 am by tpdaw »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Value Japanese dishes and walnut table
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 08:24:17 am »
You have a nice set of Flow Blue and White Willow plates.  That is three very popular element in collectors of china, to top it off they really look to be over 100 years old, not repos.  I'm curious about when you said you have a dishes, how many pieces do you have to that set?  And what was your asking price?  All in all those are very popular and stunning Blue and whites. I didn't see any markings from the quick look at the photos you posted. Are there any markings on them?  As for the sidetable, well better leave that one for the others.

tpdaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 01:50:46 pm »
Sorry for misunderstanding: I have only 2 of these dishes. They are 34 cm in diameter. I have them up for sale on a local website. What would be a good asking price for the two? They are without chips or other defects.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 02:12:02 pm »
Since your flow blue plates are pretty fancy, I would say you would have little problems selling them at the $50.00 range, that is each, if you sell both together you would be looking at around $60.00 to $75.00, that would be a good fast sell price.  If you are willing to wait a bit you could get $100.00 for both.  If you can figure out the age and maker you could very well be looking at much more.

tpdaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 02:27:32 pm »
How can I make out the maker???

I just realize I have another set of almost similar Japanese/Chinese plates. These have a mark at the back. They are 23cm in diameter and both also in excellent condition. Are these also Willow plates?

http://picasaweb.google.nl/tpdawsen/2ChinesJapanesePlates24cm

Thank you very much for your help!!!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 03:01:08 pm by tpdaw »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 04:47:54 pm »
    On unmarked pieces it can be a almost impossible task to make out who the maker is, but with hands on inspection a expert can usually tell about the period, and sometime the maker.  I'm not a expert here, but close examination of the bottom can sometime give the clues to age.  As for your other items being Blue Willow they don't look like it, they do appear to be flow blue.  Basically you have Blue and White, which is basically that Blue decoration on white, using colbalt to get the color.  Flow Blue and white, has a appearance of the blue colbalt color flowing in the firing process, that is it has a smudge look about it.  Blue Willow has a tree in the art, Willow tree, this decoration was very popular in the early asian china.