Author Topic: Question about sellers shipping costs.  (Read 9027 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Question about sellers shipping costs.
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 09:55:50 am »
That's just crazy. The handling and materials were more than the shipping amount? If they don't give you a little money back, leave neutral or negative feedback that their shipping was outrageous. People these days. Grrrr  >:(

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 10:05:19 am »
Only just sent them a message after having emailed earlier today requesting  the date shipped and tracking
number if one was available.

Here's my latest message to him. Hopefully I'll receive some kind of response.

"After sending my earlier message I ran some errands and was
pleased to find the camera waiting for me in my box. I was
surprised though to see that the shipping cost was $11, where
you had quoted and charged me $29. I can understand a few
dollars for handling charge and when you assured me that the
price I was being charged was that quoted by USPS I had no
problem with paying. Though it did seem excessive, you also
mentioned it was Priority flat rate. The parcel is stamped First
Class, which I had asked for if possible.

While totally pleased with the camera, I have to say that the
discrepancy in what I was quoted/charged and the actual cost of
shipping is a disappointment."

waywardangler

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 10:19:05 am »
An $18 handling charge is definitely way up there on the ridiculous scale!  I think it was charged as Priority as First Class ends at 13 oz. and then Priority kicks in.  It should have been marked Priority tho.  It would be interesting to see what response the seller gives.  I think that after they have the money they do not care.  I agree with hosman that negative feedback would be in order.  Future bidder/buyers would then know what is up with this seller's fees.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 12:34:43 pm »
   Yes way too much for sure, I didn't even get that amount of all of the 34 packages I sent this week.   Thanks for helping us stay on our toes when bidding on Ebay Wendy.  I hope the seller is truely cool and offer you something back.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 12:38:56 pm »
On the sellers feedback you can say something like "Charged $29 shipping, arrived with $10.89 actual postage" That way you are just stating a fact of the transaction and allowing buyers to draw their own conclusions.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2010, 08:55:39 pm »
Maybe next time , if ever , that sapphire deals with this seller , she could make sure he gets paid 'the dollar amount' with Canuck-bucks , with a loony or two in an envelope .
 :(

My feedback would go something like : This wonderful Ebay seller was so dedicated to the safe & delicate handling and packaging of my item that he actually spent almost 2 hours carefully wrapping and taping up the box .
He only charged me a very reasonable $10 per hour for this service .
I'll always keep this Ebayer in memory when shopping there !

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 09:20:39 pm »
Very funny regularjoe, and so very true. Too bad feedback can't be that long because they deserve it. Unless they do end up refunding some money. To put it in perspective, that 25 pound iron horse head I won cost me $14 for shipping in a medium flat rate box. Got to me in 2 days. For a tiny camera, come on now. Handling and processing shouldn't even be charged on an item like that, it's not a fragile antique piece of glass nor a 25 pound piece of iron. That item didn't need special packaging and didn't weigh a ton.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 09:27:52 pm by hosman321 »

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 07:13:18 am »
Good one regular joe !! For $10 an hour, heck I'll start selling on ebay!  ;)

Just for shits and giggles took two pics.......

The first shows the whole kit and kaboodle, the camera and accessories were all placed in the large compartment
of the bag....loose.

The second shows the two strips of 'pillow' wrap for top/bottom.

Tape.  (use your imagination)

I have a one armed son-in-law who could have done this for under $2 !! ::)

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 07:41:39 am »
If they don't give you a little money back, leave neutral or negative feedback that their shipping was outrageous.

Good advice Hosman321.

At least your trying to work this out with the seller Sapphire,so the neutral or negative feedback would be the seller's choice.

Did you contact eBay, including the mentioned correspondences, and see what they have to say regarding the gouging?

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 07:58:52 am »
Haven't contacted ebay yet. I'm going to give him time to reply.  Hubby wants me to just leave it be, as the total cost was still a great deal. I just feel that if I'm spending $50+ on something I'd rather $40 goes towards the item, the rest for shipping.

Kind of between a rock and a hard place.  I'm at fault in the sense that I didn't know the shipping cost before bidding (too short a time to get an answer), but then there is the glaring discrepancy between what he told me USPS charges were and what they actually charged. That and the Priority/First Class issue.

I'm not a confrontation person and he has excellent feedback from his previous 40+ sales so I really don't know what I'll do just yet. Going to wait a bit to see if he responds......if he doesn't at all, or responds in a very negative manner, then I'll likely take it further.

Just have to shake my head. It definitely reinforces what I already knew (and have practiced), but let slide because of time issues.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 08:03:58 am »
Another reason I hate leaving negative feedback is because I'm scared they'll leave me negative feedback afterward. Definitely don't want to lose my 100 percent, and that big reg circle looks really bad. If you can't decide, leave positive feedback but politely saying that shipping was expensive.

waywardangler

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2010, 09:17:59 am »
Hosman, sellers cannot leave negative feedback for buyers anymore on eBay (unless something has changed recently).  That is a big gripe amongst sellers on eBay now.

I think the seller should send you a $15 refund sapphire.  That would be just and ethical.  If you just let it slide like maybe the 40+ buyers did before you, the exhorbitant shipping costs will seem vindicated by the seller.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2010, 09:28:41 am »
Oh, that's good to know wayward. It's kinda nice for us buyers but I think it's a bit crazy that sellers can't leave negative feedback. I can think of a ton of scenarios where a buyer would deserve negative feedback.

I also agree that if you just let the crazy shipping fee slide, they will sit at their computer and laugh at all the people they are jipping. Not fair for people to be that mean.  :-\

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2010, 09:32:38 pm »
Actually a buyer can leave negative feedback.   It has become a trend for buyers not to leave feedback until or unless the buyers does.  I'm not sure that is the right thing to do.  Been fighting this issue in my brain.   Up until this last run last week, when the buyers pays, I considered this has fullfilled their oblication, and I would leave feedback.  However, I have sold over 300 items thus far on ebay over the last year, as of today I have 218 feedbacks, lots of buyer don't even bother leaving feedback, espically the ones with under 20 or so buys.   This time I left feedback right away for only the ones that pay right away.  Those who waited a couple of day I decided to not feedback unless they do.  Espicallly for this one buyer who is being a real pain.  Anyway, I have noticed that alot of buyer will now only feedback it the buyer does, I'm now starting to understand why.  Just not sure what I will do when I get my first negative, from a problem buyer.    Also Wayward is right on about at least teaching them to think twice before posting that high of shipping rate.  I learn the same way, except I was called out before they bid.  If he only has 40 feedbacks then they are still learning, 40 is not many, heck 218 am I still trying to grasp this ebay stuff. 

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2010, 05:32:30 pm »
Ohhhh and it gets even better.......after taking half a dozen shots to see how it was working I popped it back in the case, into the box and waited to deliver it to my daughter today.  She took it out, started it up..........and now it's not working :P

From what I can find online it's a problem common to several of the Canon cameras .......just wondering if this is a 'new' issue or one that's
been in the works  ::)

Daughter is recharging both batteries and will try it again, if it's still wonky she'll give Canon a try as they were offering free repair and shipping regardless of 'warranty status'. 

And the beat goes on................. .