Author Topic: Having a hard time dating this trunk...  (Read 2499 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Having a hard time dating this trunk...
« on: May 30, 2010, 09:57:43 pm »
I bought this dirty old trunk today, I just love it. But I'm a bit confused about how to date it.

The main construction is all put together with rusty old square head nails. But there are also some old screws in a few places. There are huge dovetails on the front of the chest. The hardware is not original, but it's very old. You can see where the original hardware was previously, and that it was also attached with square head nails. The replacement hardware is secured with the same screws that are in random places on the trunk. So, I am assuming the whole thing was square head originally. (Duh)
The newspapers inside are from the 1930's. The replacement lock is one that uses a skeleton key. You can see underneath the locking mechanism and there are also empty square holes where nails were. I believe they used square head nails up until the 1890's. Well, technically they are still in use today. But they mostly fazed out during that time. Am I being too optimistic in thinking this chest is from about the 1850's? Maybe older? Any ideas about it's style/dovetails etc.? The paint appears to be some sort of old milk paint or whitewash-type stuff. It is painted over the replacement hardware. I am thinking someone found an old trunk in the 30's (or earlier) and fixed it up to use. Changed the old hardware, added a few screws to strengthen it and then painted it blue. Thanks for any ideas, I really would love to know it's age!

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Having a hard time dating this trunk...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 09:58:58 pm »
A couple more...

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 10:07:47 pm »
You're right about the nails, they sure look like homemade square-head nails to me and the hinge looks like it was put in in place of another that had worn out. I bet you are right about it being older, and having been given an overhaul in the 30's or 40's.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 10:50:00 pm »
I've been crusin' the net a bit more and there are lots from the civil war that look just like mine. That would be really cool if it was that old. And the asking prices are way way more than I paid. So, I quess I got a good deal.  ;)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 11:09:16 pm »
Cool old chest , hosman321 .

I used to see alot of this style of chest (European) in the Mid-west .
Many of those were either German , French or English , in pine or walnut .

I'd often see those that were/had been 're-tasked' into sturdy toolchests for tradesmen , having added heavy-duty handles on their ends (suitable for luggin' around a box full o' tools) .

Perhaps what I'm seeing in your images is a chest that has repeatedly had it's hardware replaced (maybe twice-replaced) .
It also looks like it is made from clear pine .

Without seeing it in person , I'd guess c1870-1890 .

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 04:54:06 am »
hosman, scroll down this page to Old Toolboxes, first on the left........maybe give these folks a shout with a few pics.

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunks/

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 09:07:49 am »
It is a carpenter's tool chest and fairly common (at least in my area of the Midwest).  There originally would have been a narrow rectangular box for smaller tools that sat on the side wood blocks and would slide to access bottom tools or lift out for complete bottom access.  These larger ones are now repurposed for coffee tables.  I bought a small one last year for use and just bought a big narrow one at a rummage sale Saturday for $10 complete with a few tools.  What I wanted was the 1890s Stanley adjustable level in the bottom. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 02:25:43 pm »
Nice trunk!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 08:02:13 pm »
Thanks for the input everyone. I guess now I know it's probably circa 1870's-80's-ish.  :P
Now I know it was a tool chest, too. I couldn't figure out if it was a tool trunk, blanket chest, or a traveling chest. But really, I guess it was whatever somebody wanted it to be.
Check out this newspaper that was inside. The first few pages are all about eating lion meat. How the French people would eat it for courage and strength. But we Americans thought it was barbaric. Wow, times have changed so much in a relatively short period of time. I love the ads in the newspapers. Sadly, nails were all over one paper and it had the coolest full page Chevrolet ad from the 30's. Would have been great for framing. :(