Author Topic: Need help deciding on metal detector!  (Read 1483 times)

Julekpl

• View Profile
Need help deciding on metal detector!
« on: May 30, 2010, 10:40:27 pm »
Hi people. I know metal detectors aren't antiques but I have a serious question. I'm going hunting for ww2 relics such as Helmets, bullet shells, ect, that can be found under 1.5 feet of dry dirt. I found this cool metal detector for a good price, but is it any good? heres the link.

Please help, Julekpl

http://www.amazon.com/Treasure-Cove-Fortune-Platinum-Detector/dp/B000WO7L3S/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1275279423&sr=8-13

Texasbadger

• View Profile
Re: Need help deciding on metal detector!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 06:47:23 am »
If you dont already live in Europe, it may be cheaper to buy/rent a detector once you are over there, your friend may know of places to get one.  The expense of transporting it back and forth may need consideration.  There will be groups over there who specialize in metal detecting and battlefield finds. A friend of mine went last year and met some guys in Normandy who led him through areas with metal detectors and allowed him to dig up items and even presented him with a paratrooper helmet he found.

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 10:58:19 am »
I definitely recommend White's. They are well known for their metal detectors (I have a Prizm myself and like it quite a lot). But yes, if you are going to take one to Europe it might be better to buy it while there.

up2no6ood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 02:08:52 pm »
cheaper here
http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Treasure-Cove-Platinum-Digital-Metal-Detector-Set/2683552/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10877692

As said in previous post any metal detector will work with those types of items being your not looking for just gold and silver. Higher end units are needed to discriminate all the "junk" so your not wasting time digging out pulltabs from the beach all day. If your looking for things like guns, helmets, bayonet and mines ;D any detector will do the job. I totally agree with buying or renting one once you get there. Could be a customs, import tax nightmare. Also in Poland law states quite clearly that searching for historical artifacts (and that includes II World War militaria) with a metal detector without proper authorization, is illegal. There are some exceptions to this rule, but you MUST have a trusted contact/partner who will look after you. Penalties for illegal searching are quite severe and include confiscation of your metal detector as well as fines and in the extreme cases, also imprisonment. Comming into polands customs with a metal detector in hand would but a big red target on your back.