Author Topic: Wood Burning Stove  (Read 1807 times)

medicmamma

• View Profile
Wood Burning Stove
« on: June 01, 2010, 12:55:45 pm »
If anyone could help me with any info you may have on a wood burning stoves. I have one that I cannot find any info online about. It's a single burner with "Martin Stoves and Range Co. Florence Alabama" and the door has a heart with 20 R on it. I've looked up the company with no help from them. Any information you may have would be greatly appreciated. Here are a couple pictures of it if that may help as well.

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Wood Burning Stove
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 02:07:37 pm »
Welcome to the forum , medicmamma .

I sure do like the looks of your little stove .

Only thing I'd venture a guess at is that your stove was produced post-1918 , after they (the brothers Martin) formed the company with the same name as on your stove .

The history of the company sure has seen quite a few twists & turns , including a buy-out by employees of the iron casting business ; this does make me wonder if they'd re-cast earlier designs from 'archived' molds .

Wish I had more , but that's it for now .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

medicmamma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 04:32:41 pm »
Welcome to the forum , medicmamma .

I sure do like the looks of your little stove .

Only thing I'd venture a guess at is that your stove was produced post-1918 , after they (the brothers Martin) formed the company with the same name as on your stove .

The history of the company sure has seen quite a few twists & turns , including a buy-out by employees of the iron casting business ; this does make me wonder if they'd re-cast earlier designs from 'archived' molds .

Wish I had more , but that's it for now .

Thank you and thank you! The crazy history of the company was about the only thing I could find also. Do you happen to know what something like this would possibly be worth without being restored?

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 05:40:49 pm »
Sorry , medicmamma , not much of an expert on woodstove pricing here .

Assuming that your stove is fully functional & unbroken ...

I'd think about giving it a good washing (power-wash if possible) inside & out (with a wire-brush scrubbing of the o/s after) & then a couple of coats of flat black heat-resistant paint (or 'stoveblack') if I were trying to get a bit of cash for it (even though it looks as if the original color was not black) .
Not too much skilled work or cost involved with doin' that .

Most of all I'd get it out of the weather .

Spring/summer season not being the best time to sell such items might also affect getting a reasonable price (as well as the part of the world you're living in) .

Could be sold as 'rustic yard/farm/house' decoration , or as a working stove for a small cabin .

Perhaps others here will chime in too !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 11:09:34 pm »
I've been seeing prices all over the map , for box stoves in the era of yours , medicmamma .

They've ranged from $20 (a rusty hulk) to over $600 (billed as a 'restored' stove) , but none of the same manufacturer as yours .

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 04:45:46 am »
medicmamma, what you have there is often called a "chunk" stove which was primarily used for heating. It gets the name "chunk" because one could cut their firewood up to 2 feet long and not have to split it. A round piece of firewood will burn twice as long as a split piece and one doesn't have to tend the fire as often ....... like getting up in the middle of the night to add wood.

And I suggest on using Stove Black unless you are sure it is going to be a "decorator" piece. All cast iron stoves were "black" except those having colored "baked enamel". Black is the bestest radiator of the heat. And "cracks" don't hurt them a bit, a little Rutland Stove Cement will fix it right up and the Stove Blacking will cover it right up.

That is easy a $100 stove for someone that has a camp or needs one to put in their garage. Those are quite handy when the power goes out.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 08:38:34 am »
Nice info cogar!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!