Author Topic: Identification of marks on china  (Read 2224 times)

whatisthis

• View Profile
Identification of marks on china
« on: June 05, 2010, 06:33:06 pm »
Can anyone help me to identify what these markings are and whether or not the items in this set of china may be of value? Mom died recently, and we are trying to figure out what to do with this stuff. I've attached a photo of the markings, and two of a tea cup that is representative of the set. Thank you for any information you may be able to provide.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Identification of marks on china
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 10:37:41 pm »
Welcome, whatisthis!  I ran across this in a description of another article for sale on ebay.....

"marked with The JB&W importers mark. They where a New York based company that imported Pottery & Porcelain from Germany only from 1907-1928"

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Art-Deco-Skyscraper-German-Art-Pottery-Clock-JB-W-Dogs-/160434023210?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255a9ceb2a

Will see what else I can find.   ;)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 10:47:55 pm »
According to this the actual manufacturer is unidentified.  Mark is in the 13th row down.

http://www.collectorscircle.com/bohemian/Porcelain-2/porcelain/unidentified/marks1.html

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 06:50:54 am »
More info here: http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/usa/newyork_1/00.php

With your permission I would like to include your golden version, please mail me if I should just use your handle used here or include a full name ;)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 06:54:14 am by Chris_Marshall »

whatisthis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 08:09:46 am »
Thank you both for the info, and certainly you may use my photos.  I've taken two more showing the entire marking in gold, apparently depending on the light, angle and flash, the reflection (?) of the black camera makes the gold not show. Handle used here is fine or use yours.

So I guess our next question is - what do we do with this stuff? Is it of value to collectors, if so - what route would you take if it were found in your mom's belongings? We don't know if we should be protecting/caring for it or sending it to Goodwill.

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 09:09:33 am »
Thanks a lot, will be added in the next update (credit given as 'whatisthis').

As for "what to do" ... a tough question. Many items everywhere listed as 'unidentified' are treated that way by viewers - "no brand, no demand" as I always say. There are some exceptions, but not companies like JB&W (or GMT for example). In fact I believe I'm the only nutcase that 'bothers' (lol!) to list any info on them other than a single picture and I have seen no increase of overall sales or prices even after the basics were presented, which of course could be my fault as I pointed out that author Roentgen was wrong in his statements and thus these items became much younger than previously claimed. Everybody should have know that Czechoslovakia was non-existent before 1918 and hence his claim was pure nonsense anyway - but then people simply copied his claim without thinking or even with the intention to shove the blame on him when questioned upon the date conflict.

I personally would try to sell the items 'as is', pointing out the background. Some people love mysteries and may become interested simply *because* it is not a standard manufacturer as those are flooding the market anyway.

whatisthis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 09:22:20 am »
Thank you very much for the info, truly appreciate your time.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 11:06:20 am »
I think this is an absolutely stunning example of the company's works.

Glad you have included it Chris.  Collectors need to get over the fact that just because it isn't "ancient" doesn't mean that it is a collectible item - and in the case of this potter....only increase in value.  You have a truly phenomenal site!  
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!