Author Topic: Possible Pie Safe  (Read 4647 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Possible Pie Safe
« on: June 08, 2010, 01:56:27 pm »
I have an appointment tonight to go look at what I am hoping will turn out to be a nice antique pie safe. The seller tells me this was purchased from an antique store and has screen on the doors, but she has no idea if it is authentic or not. I figure for $40 it is worth driving out for a look-see. It has obviously been repainted, and I've never seen one with this kind of decoration, so I won't be surprised if it turns out to be a dead end, but I'm hoping it may be a 1940's or earlier pie safe. I can't see enough detail in the photos to say for sure. Give me a shout if you've seen these sitting on the shelves at Target or Cost Plus Imports.

Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

Re: Possible Pie Safe
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 02:19:27 pm »
I just Googled a bunch of images and nothing like this pops up.  I am guessing it may be newer homemade.  You would have to look at the construction, especially of the casework and those moldings.  The moldings may be the newer pressed factory type. I am surprised there are no feet to keep it off the floor.   Who knows, the whole thing may be older and authentic and you have yourself a bargain.  Happy hunting Tales!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 03:21:17 pm »
Yeah I am suspicious too and will look it over very carefully. Usually the repro pie safes I have seen are distressed and made to appeal to the "shabby-chic" crowd. I don't see that with this one. If anything, it looks like it was repainted to make it look new again, which is encouraging. They seem to always want these to look old. I will look over the hardware and the construction very carefully. I'm hoping for rickety ol' hinges and dovetails.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 04:30:53 pm »
Looks homemade to me....nicely done tho'!   Homemade in that the design on the front is unusually matched in relation to the traditional ones.

Take a good look-see!

Best of luck!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 04:48:31 pm »
Love it tales!! 10 pages of pie safe images and not one even close.......but I like the look of yours much better than any of the smaller
ones I did see.  Don't forget to let us know how it goes!  ;)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 05:10:08 pm »
Another dead give-away will be if it is not deep enough to hold a full-sized pie. A lot of the repros are only about 7" deep. Thanks for searching for repros gang, I couldn't find one like this either. I'll let you know what I find.

Chinese Antique Furniture

• View Profile
    • Chinese Antique Furniture Shop
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 06:12:36 pm »
Tales, this looks as though it would be a counter safe.  Is that your thought as well?  How many pies do you think it would hold?  Looks like four to me, but I'm not sure. 

Will be most interested in what you find out about it.

Good Luck and happy hunting!

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 07:05:55 pm »
Just noticed I said 10 pages, mistyped.......actu ally 30  :D

I wonder if it originally had mesh or tin inserts that were replaced?  Still prefer it to those I've seen.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 07:31:13 am »
Can't wait to hear your analysis after inspection TOT7S.I love the Victorian styling.
New or old doesn't seem like too bad of a deal for 40 bucks and looks like it would fit in with the style of your kitchen beautifully.
GL.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 11:45:32 am »
I agree Dean, it would look great in the kitchen, but I'd rather have real than repro. I've asked the seller to measure it to see if it is at least 9" deep before I drive up there because it is almost sixty miles of driving to go check it out. If it is less than 9" I don't think it could be a genuine pie safe and I'm probably gonna pass on it. I should hear tonight about the depth. Comparing it to that level that is in the background of the photo, I think the depth may be OK.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 01:06:44 pm »
The seller sent additional photos of the inside. I'd say it's about 1950's or 60's maybe even later. It's got magnetic closures, brass interior hinges and looks like it used to be for hand towels or something. I told her I would pass on it. Definitely not a pie safe.

waywardangler

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 01:18:07 pm »
Good call on getting more info before driving 60 mi.  Too bad it was not what you were hoping for TOT7S.  Always more deals to come.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 01:38:07 pm »
Yeah it was 58 miles in the wrong direction from work, plus another 88 to get all the way home again! So I wanted to be as sure as I could that it would be worth the trip.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 02:42:02 pm »
Sorry to hear that it wasn't what you wanted...but happy you found out before the drive.  Better to wait for the "right one"!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 02:45:12 pm »
Tales too bad it turned out not to be what you were looking for.  Luckily you took the time to investigate before making the trek.

You'll find the right one.  ;)