Author Topic: Hitching Post Top  (Read 12675 times)

waywardangler

Re: Hitching Post Top
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2010, 12:04:43 pm »
Yes, hosman, sorry to hear about your husband's problems after serving our country admirably for years.  I hope everything works out for you and your husband.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2010, 01:02:58 pm »
Yeah that's a lot to go through, for both of you. My hubby is a vet too, but we're a generation older. ;) Email me anytime.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 12:32:45 am »
Thanks guys and gals. I just want it to be over. Today was another stressful day with the whole thing and we contacted the best employment law firm in Seattle. Hoping they take it. I need to take my mind off everything and antique talk is the best way to do that.   ;)
I bought this book, I am hoping it has some good tips. For 4 bucks, at least I didn't lose much.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2012, 04:13:34 pm »
Bringing up a super old post! I see that my old pictures disappeared when we had that issue with the forum awhile back.
I bought another hitching post exactly like my previous one but I'm fairly positive that the one I just got is authentic. Still not sure what to think of the previous one. The one I just bought has an iron ring, the previous one does not even have a hole for a ring. The previous one has a very sandy texture, the one I just got does not. The one I just got is hollow inside, the previous one is filled solid and is at least twice the weight. The detail is much better and clearer on the one I just got. The one I just bought has old paint traces, the previous one does not.
I have seen this exact horse head about 10 times since my last post. Some look brand spanking new and some look very old and authentic. Either there are some mint condition ones out there or someone is making repros. Or, I have no idea what I am talking about and both are old. I don't know how to tell the difference with iron. Here are a few of them:

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8177110

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item231c73cf47&item=150801207111&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=sYGy88PYK53lKwdZEznGRt2LQBk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_614wt_1396

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item5ae62570c9&item=390408270025&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=sYGy88PYK53lKwdZEznGRt2LQBk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_2980wt_1163

Here is the link to that one I saw a long time ago.
http://www.antiques.com/classified/1123880/Antique-Antique-Horse-Head-Hitching-Post-Lamp
They mention that it is supposedly from London. So, I went to the London patent site but it is temporarily down so I will have to try it later. That lamp was one of a pair and I remember that the other one was hollow and was rusted completely through to the inside.

I really would love to find info about this specific design. It's obviously not terribly rare so there has to be info about it somewhere!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 04:16:59 pm by hosman321 »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2012, 04:14:23 pm »
Solid one.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2012, 04:49:56 pm »
Here's a good page on identifying fake antique cast iron by the manufacturing techniques: http://www.coxsackie.com/reference/ironfake.htm

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2012, 05:19:00 pm »
Thank you for the link, tales. It seems that both of them may be repros according to that site, which would REALLY upset me and I'd be out a lot of money! The one I just got just looks so old though and the paint traces are so convincing. I don't know...

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2012, 06:02:37 pm »
One thing that makes me think yours may be authentic is that the tips of the ears are filed down. Horses love to rub there faces when they are tied up. They get sweaty and itchy under their bridles. Sharp pointy ears is an invitation to gouge an eye. The way yours appear filed down makes me think it may have been in use with horses. We should be able to look at how the ring was welded together for more clues. As I understand it, we can tell modern welding techniques from antique, but I don't know a lot about it and we'll have to find a page on it. That would be a good addition to the Special Threads section too...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2012, 06:46:54 pm »
I would bet that the first one,, without the ring,,was originally part of a pair !! Toppers for a rail with crossbar,, an H type !! Would have a decorative horse head on each end horses were tied along the cross bar !! One with the ring was for a single post !!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2012, 06:53:58 pm »
That's true mart, didn't think of that! The one without a ring could have also just been a fence topper, for decoration only. I just don't want them to be modern repros from China! Hey, the one with a ring would be a cool towel holder in the bathroom. It would need some kind of stand though. :)
I'll take a picture of the weld on the ring in a few minutes.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2012, 07:01:03 pm »
I'm having trouble finding anything on identifying antique welding techniques. Is anyone else finding anything? Apparently the weld left by a modern welder is different. I saw this on American Pickers the other night but I can't find info on it online.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2012, 07:22:44 pm »
That's true mart, didn't think of that! The one without a ring could have also just been a fence topper, for decoration only. I just don't want them to be modern repros from China! Hey, the one with a ring would be a cool towel holder in the bathroom. It would need some kind of stand though. :)
I'll take a picture of the weld on the ring in a few minutes.
That would be an easy fix for a towel rack/stand !! Find an old pole lamp with a decorative base, remove the pole from the base, mount a turned, decorative pole to the base and put the horse head on the top of it !!  Finish to your taste !!  Those old pole lamp bases are pretty heavy so it would be good and stable for your bath room !!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2012, 07:25:34 pm »
Good link. Getting more and more wary of the one with no ring. Maybe even the one with the ring.

http://blog.rubylane.com/node/60

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2012, 09:47:11 pm »
Nice to see this thread again , hosman321 !

It appears as if there are 2 'stops' (for a round metal fence/etc. pole) cast into the interior of the hollow equestrian item ... is this so , or are my eyes talking before my brain kicks in , again ?

From your side-by-side photo , it appears as if the 'first' solid head has traces of sky-bluish paint , while the new-to-you head is a (?) reddish or weathered white color ?

You could certainly test for lead in the paint of both , which might help/lead to  determine age &/or non-U.S. origin ....

As 'post toppers/finials' these also might have been used , in conjunction with lengths of chain , for gardens/walkways/amusement rides/horsetrack gardens , etc .

As before , hands-on is best for I.D.-ing .... long research project , hosman (kinda like trying to tap-dance in a tar-pit) !!!

Then again , slow & steady has won some races .... :)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2012, 08:34:41 pm »
Couldn't they be castings. The one horse with the ring looks like two castings put together? Let me ask my husband. When we first got married he was a blacksmith.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."