Author Topic: Japanese Brush Pot  (Read 2581 times)

tupenix

• View Profile
Japanese Brush Pot
« on: June 10, 2010, 08:19:06 am »
Hi there,I'm from the UK and would like some help getting some info / prices on some items.
Firstly I have a Japanese brush pot,I wondered if it was real or a copy.
The pot is 6" high and approx 4" wide.It is carved with 6 japanese figures,3 of which seem to be holding some kind of cloth? while 2 men seem to be playing some kind of boardgame.The whole scene is taking place under some trees.
Here a some photos
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy4/onken8/SDC11590.jpg
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy4/onken8/SDC11591.jpg
Thanks in advance.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese Brush Pot
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 05:00:03 pm »
Hi tepenix!

Can you give us any background on the piece?

Can you tell the material it is made of?  Many brush pots were bade of bamboo (if wooden), porcelain and ivory.  They typically depict a story dear to the people of the time.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 09:00:55 pm »
Welcome to the forum , tupenix .

I'm a bit confused , as usual , by your question about your item being real , or a copy .

Looks like a nice little carved bamboo brushpot to me .

The theme on yours is an oft-depicted one in asian artworks .

Did the seller mention how old 'they' though it was ?

tupenix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 12:41:53 am »
Hi,thanks for the replies.
As for background I'm afraid I don't have much as the item belonged to my late father,who never said how he came by it.(however,I know he visited in Japan during the Korean war)
It appears to be made of bamboo I would say.
The reason I asked if it was a copy or not was because I saw one an online auction which went for thousands.
Cheers guys  :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 01:23:46 am by tupenix »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 12:46:42 pm »
Believe the question is if it's authentic and valuable regjoe!

It is real....it is carved....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 04:48:04 pm »
Thanks KC ; that's what I thought it was about , but I have to adjust my virtual reality sometimes .

;)

tupenix

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 05:55:01 pm »
Believe the question is if it's authentic and valuable regjoe!

It is real....it is carved....
No need for ridicule,I posted here for help because I thought that was what the forum section was for.
Sorry if I misunderstood.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 06:21:22 pm »
I really don't think KC intended any insult or ridicule , tupenix .

I've been posting here for some time and the only ridicule has been light-hearted , irreverent & between members here who are familiar with each other (with the exception of giving Hell to 'spammers') , IMO .

It's not too unusual for folks to post requests/questions about unsigned/unmarked items of some antique value .... the difficulties in discerning the values & authenticy of such items are sometimes manifold , esp. when all we have to go on is an image .
Plenty of times a member here will come up with the right answers , but not always .

Commonly , when members here 'draw a blank' , or are unsure after researching a posting , they'll suggest that a person go to a local source/dealer , for a hands-on inspection of their item .

tupenix

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 06:41:19 pm »
Fair enough, I realise it must be hard to identify items by pictures alone.

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 08:21:38 pm »
Tupenix, you must take some of the banter between long time forum members much as one would during 'normal' conversation with friends.  There is always give and take, dry sarcasm, outright wit, and irreverency.  It takes awhile to get a handle on the different personalities because it is not 'live' and in person.  KC and regularjoe2 are very knowledgable and may spar lightly from time to time but it is all in good spirit.  It is as regjoe mentioned, light-hearted and irreverent sometimes.  Stick around long enough and you will see how everyone interacts.  This is a GREAT forum with many areas of expertise among all the members.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 02:06:43 pm »
No rudeness intended and am sorry if it came off that way. 

You were asking if it was real (as in old/valuable/authentic) or copy (reproduction/newer/less value).  Because it is real - and very nice at that!

We all have to try and figure out the terminology that people use on this forum that have never discussed items.  Most of the time...they are wanting to know worth $$$$.

I do believe that this is an older piece...but will have to defer to a hands-on professional inspection.  Perhaps you are near a local museum?

tupenix

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 03:01:13 am »
Thanks for your help :)
That's great news!