Author Topic: Old or vintage? Wooden boxes.. I have no idea if they are worth anything...  (Read 1010 times)

tngal_2010

• View Profile

Hello,

I'm trying to get ready for a garage sale and found these three wooden boxes from my father's estate. I think they are from at least from the 40's or 50's.  They are not in pristine shape but two of them do have carvings or decorations that make them sort of unusual.  I am enclosing pictures. Because the photos are large. I will do one post for each box.

1. This one has nothing to indicate where it comes from.  Dimensions are 8 3/4" by 7" with a base of 7 1/2". An old sailing ship is engraved, not carved I don't think, because the top is smooth on the top. I've enclosed close ups.  The inside looks like it's wood.. has some wear. The top is hinged.

waywardangler

This answer should cover all three posts for your boxes.  The Mexican one looks most interesting.  I see a lot of boxes like these at garage sales.  Originally they held something like cigars, candy, cookies, etc.  Most are priced from $1-$10+ depending on how the seller values them.  Cheap ones go fast and higher priced ones languish.  I do not know your part of the country or what similar items are priced at sales in your area.  If you mark them high, you can always mark them down after an hour or so.  If you mark them low, you do not have to bring them back in the house.  I personally buy boxes such as these because I think they make interesting storage containers compared to the plastic stuff that is so prevalent nowadays.