Author Topic: Can anyone identify these chairs?  (Read 2561 times)

King of the Moon

• View Profile
Can anyone identify these chairs?
« on: June 13, 2010, 05:07:09 pm »
This is a more unusual request. For some time, someone has been improving the appearance of objects used in an old* computer game, and he's done an excellent job, but there are some things that even he cannot sort out. The objects from the game come from a variety of periods and styles, so knowing the origin of one object doesn't help with finding info about any other objects.

Without further ado, here are the pictures:

I know the images on the objects are very low quality, but that's why we want to improve them. To me it looks like they are based on photographs, hence this post. I've tried searching Google Images for things like 'ornate chair', 'old chair' and so on, but that sort of thing doesn't produce good results. Therefore I would appreciate it if anyone could help with identifying those chairs.

*or 'the blink of an eye' on an antiques forum

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone identify these chairs?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 12:10:44 am »
If these are from an old computer game they may not even be real (as in hands-on) - but may be created/designed on a computer program.  The second one definitely has that feel. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 04:32:18 am »
KC I think 'King' is looking for advice on what style these may have been fashioned after in order find more 'real' images
to use in upgrading their graphic appearance.   ;)

My guess would be along gothic or renaissance style::)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 11:22:18 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 03:50:04 pm »
I'd go along with the gothic theme .

You can find some great images of very antique chairs , perhaps some with 'usable ideas' , at :

http://www.larsdatter.com/chairs.htm
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

King of the Moon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 05:10:11 pm »
I appreciate the replies so far; they've given me a few more things to search for, but still no luck. The aim is not just to make the objects look better, but also to stay as close as possible to the original styles.

By-the-way King....what game?  That might even lend credence to your quest!
The objects are from a game called Thief: The Dark Project, released by Looking Glass Studios in 1998 (with a sequel in 2000). The 'internal' name of the 1st chair is Gold Chair, but the original gold colour seems to have got lost when the file was made. It looks to me like the picture on the back rest is a man on a horse.

Does anyone know if there's a name for the style of the 2nd chair? And could it be from a church?

One other possibility is that those textures are actually from buildings or doors or panels etc, but let's hope not.

King of the Moon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 07:10:02 pm »
I just remembered this thread. After some time I found what the main picture was:

And I threw together some generic border textures to get this:

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 07:54:51 pm »
Yeah Albecht Dürer's Knight, Death, and the Devil should fit in nicely with a gothic type theme.