Author Topic: Nazi Symbol & Dancing Couple Pin  (Read 2110 times)

JeanneCurt

• View Profile
Nazi Symbol & Dancing Couple Pin
« on: June 14, 2010, 01:35:01 pm »
Can anyone identify this pin that I got in a box at an auction??  It seems to be made of a very light metal material.  As seen on the photo it is quite worn!!  I have looked and looked and can't seem to find anything on it.  It looks like it has the letters MAI and 1938 on the front.
Thanks for any information!
Jeanne

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Nazi Symbol & Dancing Couple Pin
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 01:46:20 pm »
It's a May Day pin, the ones I see online are worth between 10 and 40 dollars.

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 01:51:00 pm »
It looks pretty corroded like it was dug from its resting place in the earth for years.  I think this a Nazi party pin and the couple look like they are dancing around a maypole?  Just a guess but maybe if you searched Hitler youth something might turn up.

It is on this page #106 in the group of 5 and is for May Day 1938...http://www.wwiidaggers.com/MEDALS2.htm

hosman321

• View Profile

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 05:42:34 pm »
They are known as "tinnies" and the later ones are zinc based and basically self destruct over time, zinc pest is what its called when the corrosion starts, in many instances if you had a time machine you could go back in time, take a very  nice zinc based medal from the factory, and store it in a safety deposit box, opening it sixty years later it would be a corroded pile of junk from this problem.

JeanneCurt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 10:27:41 pm »
Thank you everyone for the information.  This is an amazing group of sharing people!