Author Topic: Just have some questions about my grandfathers war journal, and museums  (Read 1558 times)

Stevo08106

• View Profile
Sorry i put my post in the wrong place so im moving it :-\

Hey everyone, Sorry i don't have more to share with the site so far. But im just starting out collecting and also learning. Anyway this should be cool for some of the military lovers Smiley. Ok well my Pop Pop was a prisoner of WWII and while there he kept a journal. Its so cool it has little drawings from all the guys who were kept with him a couple little things taped inside the book. But my question about putting it in a museum "If i can talk my dad into doing it" is if i put it there, is it still mine or does it belong to the museum now? I wasnt sure if u could take it out at anytime. Also ill get some pictures tonight once i can pull it out. thanks Steve

Also ask anything u want and ill try to answer what i can, i grandfather did pass away and didnt like to talk about it much. So ill try to answer what info i have or can get.

Texasbadger

• View Profile
First find out if its a legitimate museum, many collectors state its for a MUSEUM which means their collection.  If its a recognized museum with the appropriate registration forms with the State and Feds then you should be able to donate it with the proviso that you may want it back at some point.  Keep in mind that the larger museums may just store it anyway for lack of display space.

Acamar

A better choice might be a university library, where it can be used by researchers -- even better if you have more than just the journal, and can donate "The Mr. Grandfather Papers" in their entirety, because context matters in research.  Good university libraries, with the proper facilities, are able to take care of valuable and fragile papers, and have strict rules about their use and handling for research.

I don't know if you would still own it or not, with a university library.  But, like any visitor to the university library who follows the rules, you would be able to look at it and consult it.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
You can loan items to museums. That way you don't surrender ownership. You can also loan them for brief periods such as during an exhibition. I suspect that in the case of your dad's war journal it is something that would be more about the content than the book itself, so here's an idea- Why not get a Web site and digitize the journal online? That way you could share your dad's story with everyone and your family would retain possession of the book?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Stevo08106

• View Profile
Thank you guys for all the info, i will get pictures for u tonight sometime. i think there would be some interest in seeing the actual pages its pretty cool. So thanks again.  :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Great info/suggestions there Antique-Shopions!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!