Author Topic: Giant blue pottery piece with faces around base ????????????????  (Read 7280 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Giant blue pottery piece with faces around base ????????????????
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 09:27:19 pm »
O.k. I have to put my penny in here, been wanting to but kinda have gain a distaste for Crow.  I don't see Egyptian influence here, Maybe a bit based on the shape of the face.  But Kinda has a Celtic look about the hat, or maybe Sumerian kind of influnce about it, just does not look Egyptain to me.  As for age I would not try and guess at all, It does appear old, but not so sure about the blue color, something about that color seem a bit modern, but it overall really looks old.  I think you have a real prize here, just from the unique aspect of the item. 

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 11:36:02 am »
Okay, hey all! I showed a picture of this piece to my cousin who is an archaeologist (currently working in Ukraine, but he has been to the Middle East on a number of occasions, and once to Egypt while getting his doctorate). Anyway, he believes the piece might be Egyptian revival, but he doesn't think it was made in Egypt to sell to tourists (like most reproductions coming out of the country are), and he doesn't think the work is ancient.

That's just one opinion, and as always, treat it with a grain of salt. The best thing to do would be to contact the museum Tales gave you the info for. I might also add that if this was an authentic piece I do not believe it would be so bulbous in places- even if they were mass produced.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 01:11:24 pm »
Inkslinger, if it turns out to be Egyptian Revival, that would mean your piece would date to approximately the 1920's-ish. When King Tut's tomb was discovered in 1922, Egyptian motifs became very popular. You might also try contacting the Smithsonian in New York City. They also have an extensive Egyptian collection.

Lux I agree completely with your cousin, that it does not look like the tourist pieces they make now. It is intriguing, that is for sure! How cool that your cousin is an archaeologist!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 01:20:33 pm »
Hey Tales, he actually works mainly in ocean archaeology (especially sunken architecture), but he works "on land" as well. Kind of interesting, we didn't know each well until about six months ago when we reconnected at my grandmother's funeral. He's a really interesting guy, I might "rope" him into this forum sometime if I can  ;)

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 01:26:48 pm »
Rope 'im in! Although he's probably pretty busy. I always told myself I'd be an archaeologist. But here I am doin' nothin' towards it. :/

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 01:31:51 pm »
I had such similar ambitions, Hosman. I guess that's life though- you never really know where you are gonna end up  ;)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 05:27:32 pm »
Me three, although I was never serious about the idea because the pay scale can be so low. But I did volunteer as a drafter mapping an archaeologial site in Arizona and loved it. Below is a photo of me working on the drawings, on my knees in the dirt! I transfered them into AutoCAD at the end of the session. I wrote about the experience posted dig photos here: http://www.archaeologica.org/RoundyCrossing.htm

Inkslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 08:50:28 pm »
Thanks again everyone for the responses and trying to help me figure this out  ;)! luxetveritas, I appreciate you forwarding the pics to your cousin for analysis!!  Very, very cool.  I'm still holding out for someone on here to tell me that it's ancient and worth MILLIONS!!  Haha just kidding guys.  I think it's a darn unique piece and if it's a revival or repro, still a fantastico pickup at a thrift store.  I emailed the museum Tales provided...no response yet.  I'll also email the Smithsonian and other museums as well.  I'll keep everyone posted with any responses.

Just want to get a consensus from everyone...is this piece Egyptian or have an Egyptian motif rather than asian or something else?  Trying to narrow it down.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 09:50:01 pm »
I'm curious to know if you can tell if your item is heat-glazed (both the blue & black areas) , or perhaps finished in another way .
When you mentioned the 'black' being 'painted' ... sorry , I can't tell much from your images , Inkslinger ....
just trying to clarify how your item was glazed/painted .

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 11:45:43 pm »
I am not an expert and I could be wrong, but I feel quite comfortable saying that at least the motif is in the style of ancient Egypt.

Sara Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 12:23:15 pm »
From the Museo de Antropologia de Xalapa , Mexico :
 :)

Inkslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 01:44:09 pm »
great find Sara! I've been researching Mexican indio tribes as well.  Thanks for sharing that. 

Also, regularjoe...I am really a novice of novice's when it comes to "glazing" or as to how this piece was made.  Sorry.  I'm researching that as well.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2010, 09:16:11 am »
Sending pic on to cousin who is retired in archaelogy/geology!  Not his specialty...but he may have an idea.

I'm leaning more towards S American/Peru.....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!