Author Topic: Has anybody ever restored a tin trunk?  (Read 5980 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Has anybody ever restored a tin trunk?
« on: June 20, 2010, 01:01:57 pm »
Just bought my first humpback trunk. I thought it was called camelback but apparently camelback has the piece of wood running along the top, mine doesn't.

I'm finding so much conflicting information online and it's getting very frustrating! Some say to do one thing and others say to never do it. My question is:
What can I do to make the metal shiny again?
Some sites say this is tin. Some say it's not tin, it's steel. I just want to make the metal shine again, I'm not doing any painting or wood refinishing, just shining the tin/steel pieces. I have started sanding the disgusting inside though, it was BAD. :P
This monster is huge and I love it but I need to know what to go out and buy tonight. Some say use steel wool and vinegar. Some say never use steel wool, use brass. Some say only to use some kind of power tool. I don't care if it's brand new looking, just more shiny than now. HELP!
Note, the camera makes it look better than it really is in person. In person, it's very dark and dull, not shiny at all. The parts I am interested in cleaning are in between the wood slats and just above the closing latch thingys. And the decorative pieces all over it. Not the brown metal areas.
Oh, and I could have sworn I saw a topic on this a few months back. But when I search "trunks" and "trunk" I can't find it. ???
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 01:06:11 pm by hosman321 »

waywardangler

Re: Has anybody ever restored a tin trunk?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 02:58:17 pm »
Yes, I remember someone restoring one on here months ago but I do not remember who.  I suggested 0000 steel wool and oil to polish the tin.  0000 steel wool does not scratch (to the naked eye) while coarser grades may.  I will try and find the old post hosman.

I think it was this post by wendy...

http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=6469.0
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 03:03:02 pm by waywardangler »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 03:23:54 pm »
Thank you for finding the link! I was thrown off by the post title. To Home Depot I go!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 08:45:47 pm »
I broke down. I bought a Dremel. Also known as a back saver! What a marvelous investment! The upper left is the part I did in about 2 minutes. Zippin' through it. Not sure yet if it's gonna work on the panel parts. But it's workin' great on all the accent pieces. Saves my back and saves time, I highly recommend one. :P
I'm using the stainless steel wheel.

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 09:09:27 pm »
Dremels are great...I have 3 and one Ryobi along with numerous bits, grinders, cutters, brushes, wheels, and drums that fit them.  My oldest Dremel is a single speed from about 45 years ago.  The Ryobi multi-speed is Ok but I find the motor brushes foul from wood dust more than the Dremels.  Must be the design of the air intake ports.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 09:19:24 pm »
I'm hoping it does well and will last a long time. Most of the people we know say they have had theirs for years, my husband's grandpa has had his at least 25 years. I'm happy so far. :)

Omega Entity

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 10:39:09 pm »
Dremels are indeed very useful, and very versatile. I use mine for grinding, shaping, and polishing opal!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 08:51:34 am »
Have 2 Dremels and a Ryobi as well......they both work great in restoration work.  Agree...that my Dremel is the most preferred!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 05:47:13 pm »
Well, I've given up on the monster. I'm not big on restoration. I believe in cleaning items rather than making them "brand new again." I wasn't liking how super shiny the tin was becoming. I realized it would look ridiculous to have brand new metal and everything else stayed old looking. Then, I'd have to make everything match. Which would mean sanding and refinishing the wood and repainting all the painted surfaces. Not very appealing.  :-\ Maybe I'm just lazy? Maybe I like the look? I think it's a bit of both :P
So, I slightly cleaned up most of the metal but it still looks old and yucky. Just the way I like it. Polished the brass escutcheon. Most importantly, it all matches and doesn't look funny. So, I guess my little project is done on the outside. Still some sanding needed inside. Mildew heaven in there. The Dremel was very handy, but it gets a break now. Thanks for the input guys (and gals).
By the way, I just love the star handles, had to show those. And as for sunshine to air out the mildew, Western Washington State has not been above 74 degrees in 270 days. I need a few days of sun! Although I live here because if I live in a sunny place I fry alive. I burn on cloudy days!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 06:23:09 pm by hosman321 »

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 09:05:59 pm »
It is a nice looking trunk as is.  Objects are to be admired by their owners in order to be enjoyed.  If you like the trunk as is, then that is the way it should stay.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 09:17:19 pm »
Did anybody watch Pawn Stars tonight? Rick bought a trunk like mine and I can't believe how much he spent on it and it's restoration. Even though it had all the compartments, it's not worth what he paid for it.

waywardangler

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 10:30:31 pm »
Yes, I watched it and I could not believe the price either (before restoration).  Evidently prices are much different in Vegas.  I do not see how he can come out on it.  Maybe the trunk looks much better in person.  They did say it had a leather covering.  I would think it would be $150-200 tops in my area of the Midwest.  Without the compartments, I see these all the time in varying degrees of wear for $25-100.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 10:42:36 pm »
I thought the brown part on my trunk was leather, too. But it's painted brown metal. I think they were mistaken about that part. I think maybe these trunks are more rare out in the desert. Wood items don't last long. I also have that exact same Dante's Inferno book that was on there. I paid a whole $10 for mine. I laughed when the guy wanted $1,000. Or was it $3,000?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 06:05:53 pm »
Nice job on that trunk Hosman321!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 05:35:19 pm »
Thanks tales! All the cleaning, sanding and bleaching on the inside is not helping. The mildew smell is overwhelming the house. So, I am going to buy one of these. I have used them before but forgot about them. They've been amazing, I'll let you guys know how they work for mold and mildew smells!
http://www.thebadairsponge.com/mold_mildew_odor_remover.html