Author Topic: Questions on a couple of antiques I'm wanting to sell  (Read 1907 times)

Snippie

• View Profile
Questions on a couple of antiques I'm wanting to sell
« on: June 21, 2010, 05:04:24 am »
Hi all,

Newbie here.

Could you please help out on a few things I'm trying to sell on a local auction site (in South Africa).

I want to put correct market prices on (don't want to over or undervalue my items).

Thanks in advance!

First is this old French? dresser and cast iron swivel mirror.  The dresser isn't in the best condition but the mirror is still beautiful.  We bought it with our house, and according to them it's at least 80 years old, but probably closer to 100 years old...

Then I also have an old tot measure, in wood with mirror.  Have no idea of age, person I got it, said it's been in a couple of "drinking generations" in their family.

Lastly I have this old H&K Tunstall Porcelain Tea set.  Has the green mark on bottom, which apparently means it was made in the late 30's early 40's.  Unfortunately one saucer broke long ago (so it is a 20 piece, instead of 21 piece set).

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Alta.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on a couple of antiques I'm wanting to sell
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 08:39:10 am »
To me, the top items don't look antique in the condition they are in.

The second picture I would love to be able to zoom in on and can't.  Can you repost a pic.

Replacements LTD is an excellent site to look for your pattern and "store" market worth.
http://www.replacements.com/china/HKI.htm
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 12:15:12 pm »
The desk is a "kidney desk" (note the shape of the top). I personally wouldn't be surprised if it was 80 years old. As for the rest, I have no clue. Are there any markings on the porcelain?

Snippie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 01:22:11 pm »
Thank you all so much for the responses.

I will try to get better photos of everything asap.

Thank you for the link to replacements ltd,  it proved invaluable, and I've been able to identify the set we own as part of the "Old English Sampler" range.  That alone has helped us tremendously!

As for the dresser set, I found with some research also that it is a kidney shaped desk (probably from French origin), but other than that nothing.  Anybody with more info on it?

Thanks again for the help thus far!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 03:40:25 pm »
Yep it's a kidney style vanity. 1930's early 40's. $ 75.00 to $150.00 Dollars mirror can't be sure.