Author Topic: Vintage Music Box  (Read 1641 times)

Snippie

• View Profile
Vintage Music Box
« on: June 25, 2010, 12:52:03 pm »
Hi all,

I bought this old music/jewellery box at a second hand shop today, that I'm hoping to restore to close to its original condition.  As can be seen in the pics, it is in a very bad condition, and needs a lot of work.  That's where I hope you guys can help a bit.

I have no clue how these boxes looked when they were in their prime.  Especially as to what was in the front box (behind the clear glass), if anything.  At the moment there are just two small hand made flower type things.

Other than that, it's quite easy to see that we need to make a new "drawer" for the one side, and get pink velvet material for the drawer that's missing that.  Is anything else missing?

It says an original tivoli product on the bottom, and plays the tune "Raindrops keep falling on my head"

Any other help will be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Snippie

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Music Box
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 08:52:20 pm »
Well....this had to be made after 1969....because "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" was sung by one of our locals (BJ Thomas) in the 1969 movie of Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid.  So, not even vintage (over 50 years).

Was this a varnished wood or a lacquer (like black lacquer furniture)?

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 10:04:43 pm »
Are there actually two boxes, one inside the other? Or am I not understanding the photos? It looks like two different types you have there.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Sara Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 11:49:22 pm »
Talesofthesevenseas, I was confused by the pics too.

I can explain it now though- above the drawers are hinge-lidded compartments, in between them is the main lid, which opens to expose the boat/tree/birds decorated double-doored tray , which is either attached where it sits , or slides over the main upper tray compartment .
There was no pic of the completly closed box in Snippies' post, so I just had to figure it out.
Whew!

Your jewlery box looks like a project, alright.
My nose tells me that it may be of asian origin, as best a guess as I got.

All is not lost, though.

If you take the time to fix up your box right, it'll be worth more than it is now.

If you're looking to practice your woodworking skills or broaden your horizons  in all aspects of 'antiquing', this is a great starter project.

You can keep an eye out on Ebay for musical jewelry boxes from the same 'maker' or style & maybe get a glimpse of one there, for an example for you to consider.

Having seen many wooden vintage and antique things for sale that have had replacement parts made, it's true that a skilled set of eyes can spot such things.

I am waiting to get a peek at your finished product, Snippie!

On the lighter side of the small world, there is a supplier of replacement musical wind-up boxes- BJ's Craft Supplies (www.bjcraftsupplies .com) with tunes from Amazing Grace all the way to the Wedding March.
They are located down in KC's neck of the woods, in Tivoli, Texas.
 :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 12:20:26 am by Sara Finn »

Snippie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 04:44:56 am »
Thanks all.
Sara, that's basically exactly how the box looks/works, good eye there!

I'm using this for a bit of a restoration/woodwork project, for myself, so appreciate all the advice.

Have found a small angel for inside, and bought black paint to give it a new coat (it was never varnished or anything)

Will post pics as the project continues.

Thanx again!