Author Topic: Old bottle with spout and leather covering  (Read 1569 times)

Snippie

• View Profile
Old bottle with spout and leather covering
« on: June 30, 2010, 03:06:02 am »
Hi all,

I saw this old bottle in a secondhand shop today and absolutely love it.  Unfortunately the owner couldn't really give me a concrete answer on what it is, or what it was used for, but said she thinks it may have been used to serve wine?

I know I've seen the same thing before, so don't think it's all that rare, but what exactly is it?

Thanks, yet again, in advance!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Old bottle with spout and leather covering
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 11:45:19 am »
What is the composition of the lid?  Does it have cork in it?

Very popular style in the 1940's to 50's - many were made for wine and similar styles were made for coffee (those were more common in having a leather or wicker covering due to the heatL) however, your "spout" seems very narrow for this. 

Could you post a pic of the lid/top and spout?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Miss Platnum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 01:23:13 pm »
I don't now for what was made but it looks so interesting that you should be proud even if you use it only as decoration!

http://www.antiquescanr.com

Snippie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 03:47:03 am »
Thank you both.

Unfortunately I don't have the bottle on me at present, so can't post any more pictures right now.

But I think I may have found what it is.

Seems to be a porron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porron),  an old Spanish wine decanter.

It seems very difficult to use, but as Miss Platinum said, it does make for a beautiful decoration!