Author Topic: can anyone give me info on this please  (Read 9770 times)

danny1979

• View Profile
can anyone give me info on this please
« on: July 07, 2010, 02:26:21 pm »
just been to pick this up and not sure on anything about it the only thing i do know is it is oak

syl

• View Profile
Re: can anyone give me info on this please
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 05:09:48 pm »
Looks like a very uncomfortable chair.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 05:19:39 pm »
danny, does the seat lift up providing access to the 'box'?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 05:27:42 pm »
I believe that it is lifts up...Looks like a victorian chamber chair or it could be a trunk chair!

Are there any wear marks inside?  and if so, a pic!

The height can help determine the use/time period as well.  (Height of seat itself and height of back.  Dimensions of compartment and depth.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 05:34:53 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

danny1979

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 06:16:52 pm »
affraid not it is not lift up lid to the top of the seat its 17" and to the top of the back its 37"

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 06:29:59 pm »
Is there an opening in the back of the box... like maybe this was a "commode chair" with a place to hide the basin?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

danny1979

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 06:36:39 pm »
no it has never been anything else but a chair its very odd that box is only 7"deep and all the joins are wooden pinned

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 07:00:13 pm »
If not a commode, how about a gentlemen's butler or whatever they called those things you draped your coat over and sat on to put your shoes on.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 03:24:21 am »
Now wait a minute, if the top doesn't lift up ..... how do you know "that box is only 7"deep"?

I guess if the back is open I wouldn't call it a box.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 04:00:51 am »
As syl mentioned it obviously wasn't made for comfort. Then again ladies, at least, were 'trained' not to sit against the back of a chair.  At 17 inches it's quite low and if the 'box' is not really a box, would it be for extra support?  Was thinking along the lines of a step-stool of some sort but not low enough.

Danny, could you show shots of the underside and back? Also, is there a board missing from the seat? Possible inside shot?

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 04:14:44 am »
In the pics, it appears that the back is not open. I think it's an old step stool. It's only 17 inches to the top of the step. And as you can see in these old step stools, they still had the back like chairs do. They just have a different seat than chairs do because they weren't really made to be sat on for comfort, just sat on if you had to sit for a second. Maybe a photography prop? Stepping up onto horses? Carriages? ???
That one is obviously older and more fancy than these pictured, they are just for reference.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:03:46 am by hosman321 »

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 04:36:06 am »
hosman, I had also thought possibly for carriage or saddle due to the obvious sturdy build and what appears to be a fairly large 'seat'.  At 37" even the back is rather low for a conventional chair. Have yet to come across similar images.  Maybe tales can help out here.......a low ladies chair for someone wearing a bustle??   ::) ;)

BTW, I just measured out 17".....it'd do-able as a step, but at 5'2" definitely not easy  :D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:14:08 am by sapphire »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 04:52:09 am »
Sometimes I forget how tall I am. :P
I'm 5'10 or 11.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 06:17:17 am »
Takeing a first look. it appeared to be from the Jacobean time frame. but that's not the case. it's spool turned  furniture, from about circa 1850 to 1865.( Jenny Lind Era)

It's purpose beyond a chair. I don't know. But I do know it would be considered some what rare.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 06:24:59 am »
Does this help at all? From true Jacobean period furniture:

In the early Jacobean period, chairs were comparatively scarce, stools and forms being in more general use. These early chairs usually had arms and were seats of great dignity. Both chairs and settles had high seats and usually heavy stretchers between the legs. Chair seats were square or almost so and chair-backs were high and perpendicular or so nearly perpendicular that the rake was scarcely perceptible. The triangular seated and heavily turned chairs, whose pattern had been brought to England, probably by the Normans, were met with but were survivals in type.

The characteristic chair of this date was the wainscot or panelled back chair (Key I, 1). These chairs probably owed their inspiration in the first instance to choir stalls. In Elizabethan chairs of this pattern, the top rail bearing the cresting is within the uprights of the back. In Jacobean chairs the top rail caps the uprights and is part of the cresting. These wainscot chairs continued to be made long after the Restoration. Seats were made high with the express expectation of using either the stretcher or a footstool. There were also occasionally to be found X-shaped chairs pretty well covered with upholstery, but these occurred in the earliest Jacobean days and were so scarce that we can afford to pass them without further mention.