Author Topic: Input on this item....Antique Chinese Tea Strainer/Infuser?  (Read 1963 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
This is posted for sale and we have been collecting odd tea related items for years.  This one takes the cake.  Don't believe it is what the seller is stating that it is....input from the antique gang?!?!?!?  Would this have been used for medicine?  

RARE Antique Chinese Silver Tea Infuser / Strainer, a very unique cylindrical silver plated tea infuser having intricate hand chased designs of a Mother tending to her children, remaining in very good condition with only moderate surface wear to the silver plating along the outer edges, cylinder (excluding the chain and ball) measuring approximately 2" long".

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 04:50:40 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Input on this item....Antique Chinese Tea Strainer/Infuser?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 03:47:18 pm »
I saw something like this at Shen's Gallery (a Chinese antique store in Santa Cruz CA) If I remember correctly, I think these were to wear as jewelry or to put a message or a prayer into. I could be totally wrong on this, but I think I that's what they said these were for.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 04:11:46 pm »
If it was a tea infuser, where would the tea go and how would the tea diffuse to the water?  Looks odd for a tea infuser.  I like Tales description of a prayer message holder or jewelry.  Maybe a secret message holder to slip notes past Chinese officials.

Hmmm...here is something similar from Worthpoint. 
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/intricately-designed-antique-chinese-needle-case-w

ANTIQUE CHINESE NEEDLE CASE

PURCHASED IN CHINA

Up for auction is one of many listings coming your way from a seller that spent her long life traveling around the world. She now has started to scale down her belongings to move into a smaller home. You will be impressed with the quality and variety of her collection!

This listing features an intricately designed silver metal needle case used by the Chinese craftsmen & women who sewed the extremely small embroidery in the past. (NOTE: we will be listing some of that same, unbelieveably small embroidery pieces in the near future)

The outer case is in the design of an urn with pierced sides: one side has what appears to be a deer, pelican & bird or bee; the other appears to have three long-necked birds, perhaps cranes.

The base of the urn pulls down to reveal a 1-3/4" needle receptacle attached to a double chain that is pulled upward to close the case.

T are two rings on either side of the urn to attach cords that can be worn around the waist as a belt. At the top of the chain is a type of fob that most likely was slid over the sash to keep it secure. (Note: the seller had attached a silk cord to the fob as she also saw needle cases worn around the neck as a pendant)

The pull to open the case is attached to an orange/red semi-precious aventurine ball.

Measurements: Urn is 2-1/4" in length and 1-1/8" in width; overall length of piece from fob to pull is approximately 6-1/2" long
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 04:22:50 pm by waywardangler »

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 04:26:39 pm »
I think it actually is a Chinese needle case.

Visit http://www.oldbeads.com/China.html and read about these (CH691)...

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 04:47:01 pm »
My grandma had a case like the one you posted , KC .

It had a small piece of silk , with needles stuck through it , and a small length of thread wrapped around the needles/silk (all on the interior portion of the case) .

She kept it clipped to the inside of her Chinese sewing-basket , to strings that held chinese coins on its' exterior .
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 04:53:51 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 04:50:05 pm »
I really like this!  Never seen a needle case like this before!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 05:14:06 pm »
Much more useful than a message holder!  :D
Antiqueaholic in recovery